Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

music app draining battery with iphone 11, ios 13.5.1

I have an iPhone 11 Pro (7 months old). IOS v 13.5.1. In just the past few days, the Apple Music app has started sucking the life out of my battery. Today, after fulling charging the battery, and using my phone minimally, the battery was down to 25% after 6 hours. The Battery stats page shows that the Music app background activity had used 81% of that.

Since this started happening, I have restarted the Music app, rebooted the phone, uninstalled & re-installed the music app (which also uninstalled all my music). I am not currently playing or downloading any music; but the problem persists. I did not make any significant changes to my phone prior to this happening (although automatic app update is enabled).

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 5:42 AM

Since the Music app was still 100% active in the background all night (even after I deleted it) I have signed out of iTunes and app stores on the phone, now the background battery drain has stopped. As you can see Music (recently deleted app) was draining the battery all night. I signed out of iTunes and App stores at 7am and now the battery is normal again - although I have no Music app which isn't great. This is also the case on my work iPad so it is affecting my 3 iPads and iPhone.

Similar questions

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2020 5:42 AM in response to Paul Roberts1

Since the Music app was still 100% active in the background all night (even after I deleted it) I have signed out of iTunes and app stores on the phone, now the background battery drain has stopped. As you can see Music (recently deleted app) was draining the battery all night. I signed out of iTunes and App stores at 7am and now the battery is normal again - although I have no Music app which isn't great. This is also the case on my work iPad so it is affecting my 3 iPads and iPhone.

Jul 15, 2020 5:36 PM in response to Folsom

What worked for me was

1. Turn off "Settings > iTunes & App Store > Automatic Downloads"
  2. Force restart (Vol up, Vol down, hold power until Apple logo appears)
  3. Turn "Settings > iTunes & App Store > Automatic Downloads" on and off again. (I left it on for 10 seconds then turned it back off)

No idea why #3 was required but after #2, the phone started getting very hot again immediately.

Hope it works for at least some of you. I didn't want to go through the hassle of some of the other fixes so I'm glad this worked. Also hope my battery was not damaged permanently as I struggled with this for 2 weeks.

My gear:

• brand-new (2 weeks) iPhone SE 2020 128GB
  • iOS 13.5.1
  • Apple Music
  • iTunes Match (very-long time subscriber -- since it was introduced)
  • Two connected Apple Watches (original & Series 5)
  • Phone "Restored" directly from prior phone (iPhone 8). i.e. the new phone-to-phone option

Jul 7, 2020 5:55 PM in response to JavierCad

After 12 hours, I decided reset my iphone complety, I installed all applications again because I tried restores and was a really mess, I believed the problem on my case is because the Music APP is running and trying syncronized music on the apple watch, is leaving in a infinity loop draining the battery in less 4 hours.

The health of the my battery is 100% that is the only issue I noticed.

Jul 8, 2020 10:41 AM in response to Folsom

Just came off the phone to Apple support. Engineering suggested to make sure that automatic date and time was on. I remembered that in my privacy settings I had toggled off Setting Time Zone years ago. I logged out of the iTunes and app stores, toggled it back on, rebooted the phone, logged back into iTunes and turned sync on and now everything is downloading perfectly.

I’ll keep an eye on the background battery drain as that was a massive issue but it seems to have fixed it.

Since I’ve done this my phone is back to normal - no excessive background activity draining the battery.

Jul 7, 2020 8:55 AM in response to Folsom

I have same issue apparently the apple music app is running on backgorund, due that is trying syncronize the music to the apple watch, that is on my case, on the apple watch app this created a "sub-list" with the most playlist that you are listening (Almost 4 playlist). but never syncronize with the watch and the application leave running on the back the process generating a high consume of the battery. I tried disable this sync but doesnt worked.

Jul 8, 2020 4:43 AM in response to Folsom

My issue is now resolved.

After deleting the music app, I reinstalled it and then went to the Music settings. I turned off Show Apple Music and then went into the music app which now showed no music. I also removed my downloads too. I then went back into the music settings and re enabled Show Apple Music and then enabled Sync library.

The music app is not drawing battery any more.

Jul 8, 2020 8:47 AM in response to Folsom

This has been happening to me as well. Apple Music is taking usually 68-70% of my battery, all while in Background. This is despite my shutting Apple Music down from Background refresh. Without using the phone, my battery now drains from 100% to single digits in less than 3 hours. Additionally, the phone gets very hot.

Jul 8, 2020 10:36 AM in response to Folsom

I have been having the same issue since Thursday (7/2/2020). The Apple Music app had (17 h 33 m) running in the background. Since Thursday, it has run (23 h 25 m), (17 h 22 m), (20 h 20 m), (21 h), (21 h 45 m), and so far today (7 h 55 m, it is currently 12:35 pm) all in the background. I deleted this app days ago and it is still destroying my battery life. I fear that with this amount of drainage and recharging, my battery is going to have permanent issues.

Jul 8, 2020 11:38 AM in response to Paul Roberts1

Same problem started for me this 4th of July weekend. Both iPad Pro and iPhone 8+ are bogging down and draining battery very quickly - 100% to 20% in less than 3 hours. Devices are getting very hot too - not safe. Apple Music has used 18+ hours of battery in The background.

Turned off the show Apple Music and quit the downloads that were not downloading.

Closed all apps and restarted devices several times to no avail.

Not looking forward to deleting music app and re-downloading the 70+ gb of music I have on my devices.

C’mon Apple, there’s got to be a better way.

Jul 8, 2020 11:41 AM in response to Paul Roberts1

Thanks very much for this - it appears to have fixed the issue I’ve had for around a week - unable to download more than a handful of songs at a time, before seeing the eternal spinning circles and needing to restart the iPhone.

”Setting Time Zone” was already toggled on for me, so I switched it off, logged out of the App Store (this appeared to sign me out of the iTunes Store as well), switched the setting back on and restarted the device, into Music which began syncing, and once finished, I’m now successfully downloading playlists of several hundred songs without issue.

music app draining battery with iphone 11, ios 13.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.