Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple iCloud Photos folders on PC

I am on PC and in my file explorer I have multiple (like 41) folders of empty ICloud Photo folders under the quick access. There is no option of removing or deleting them and I have tried deleting ICloud but they remain. It is very cluttered and bothering. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 12:02 PM

I have the same problem, though I have 157 of these phantom "iCloud Photos" folders in my Desktop. The folders all have the same date and time that corresponds to the installation date of "iCloud Outlook". All of the folders appear to be empty.

These folders do not seem to be actual Windows file folders (or at least not normal ones). They do not appear when browsing the corresponding desktop folder on drive C. They cannot be deleted.

Notes:

• Running Windows 10 Pro version 2004 (OS build 19041.388)
  • Outlook version 2006 (Build 13001.20384 Click-to-Run) from Microsoft 365 (latest version)
    • iCloud Outlook v 11.1.0.76
  • Running MS OneDrive which is where my Desktop folder is located (perhaps that is a factor).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2020 12:02 PM in response to Tspel

I have the same problem, though I have 157 of these phantom "iCloud Photos" folders in my Desktop. The folders all have the same date and time that corresponds to the installation date of "iCloud Outlook". All of the folders appear to be empty.

These folders do not seem to be actual Windows file folders (or at least not normal ones). They do not appear when browsing the corresponding desktop folder on drive C. They cannot be deleted.

Notes:

• Running Windows 10 Pro version 2004 (OS build 19041.388)
  • Outlook version 2006 (Build 13001.20384 Click-to-Run) from Microsoft 365 (latest version)
    • iCloud Outlook v 11.1.0.76
  • Running MS OneDrive which is where my Desktop folder is located (perhaps that is a factor).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Aug 12, 2020 11:32 AM in response to Tspel

Same problem reported months ago.

https://communities.apple.com/fr/thread/251484271

The support told me to contact Apple by phone. I was like "what? seriously? I dont have the f. time for that and this is not my job".

I'm sorry to tell that but don't use iCloud for Windows. It's totally bugged. If you have time, contact Apple yourself (good luck). But in my opinion, the developers are blind if the problem has still not been fixed today.

Jul 10, 2020 12:19 PM in response to Tspel

Hello Tspel,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand you'd like to remove folder from iCloud Photos that appear in Quick access. We can help point you in the right direction.

We recommend to follow the section of this article on Microsoft's website that says, "Remove": Pin, remove, and customize in Quick access

For additional questions, we encourage for you to contact Microsoft through this link here: Contact Microsoft Support

Kind regards.

Jul 10, 2020 1:17 PM in response to MoonJ.

Hi MoonJ.,

Unfortunately they are not in the quick access, but below it. They aren't pinned there. They are there along with other things like "This PC" and "Network". They also keep copying so I am acquiring more and more. I will contact Microsoft to see if they can help resolve the issue. Thank you for the reply and the help!

Aug 2, 2020 1:43 PM in response to JoeMc1985

My Dad has this issue as well, it's related to MS OneDrive trying to backup/sync to the OneDrive cloud. I believe the solution is to create a new folder for iCloud Photos outside of the OneDrive folder. Then remove the iCloud photo from as one of the ones to be backed up by One Drive. Then you can move the iCloud photo to the newly created location outside of the OneDrive folder on your PC. Next you go into the online version of One Drive and delete the iCloud Photo from there. So at this point, One Drive should no longer have a copy of the iCloud Photo folder, and it should no long be backing it up. Your iCloud Photo file should be mapped to the iCloud Photo folder this is now outside of the One Drive folder.

Now to remove the ghost iCloud photos folders in the Quick Access, follow the solution provided by That Laggy Guy' second post on the link below:

https://www.tenforums.com/customization/155831-how-do-i-remove-icloud-photos-folders-sidebar.html#

I believe following all of these steps should prevent multiple iCloud Photos folder from reappearing.

Multiple iCloud Photos folders on PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.