Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Starting a few days ago, all Apple TV apps (except iTunes Movies) started giving HDCP error for 4k steaming content.

I have a 4k Apple TV, connected to 4k Sony Bravia XBR-75X940D (HDMI port is HDCP 2.2 compatible), via a Marantz 4k AV receiver, and have many Apple TV apps for streaming 4k content (Disney+, Netflix, DC, Amazon Prime, Hulu, iTunes Movies, etc).

Starting 2 days ago (possible longer as I had not streamed on that setup in almost a week), all the apps starting reporting HDCP error EXCEPT the iTunes Movies apps which is still able to play 4k movie purchases saved in my Apple library. Video output from Apple TV (menus, app screens, etc) works until try to start the streaming video, then I get HDCP error from the apps listed above other than iTunes Movies and TV apps.

The error occurs watching the same movies that worked last week. The streaming content and apps have not changed in past week.

It's not the HDMI cable. I have replaced the cables between Apple TV and receiver and between receiver and TV, but same error occurs. I have also plugged the AppleTV into the cable being used by 4k DVD player to play 4k movies, and still the apple TV gives HDCP errors when trying to stream.

I reset the TV, receiver, and apple TV but still get the HDCP errors.

Did Apple TV have some type of automated software/firmware update this past week which broke hdcp support for existing non-Apple apps?

I have a 2nd Apple TV unit (1080/HD, not 4k, going to 1080 TV) and it streams the same content (HD version instead of 4k version) without problems.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 13

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 1:00 PM

I have it working now.

I replaced 2 cables with 2 new high-end , high speed hdmi cables. I doubt the problem was my audioquest chocolate cable, but the other cable I replaced was an older no-name. I suspect not only was that cable flaking out, but also the alternate cable I used to test connect direct to TV may have been flaking out as well so I replaced them both and its working now.

Now I can go finish watching Hamilton in 4k.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2020 1:00 PM in response to brian3473_9378_8429_4843

I have it working now.

I replaced 2 cables with 2 new high-end , high speed hdmi cables. I doubt the problem was my audioquest chocolate cable, but the other cable I replaced was an older no-name. I suspect not only was that cable flaking out, but also the alternate cable I used to test connect direct to TV may have been flaking out as well so I replaced them both and its working now.

Now I can go finish watching Hamilton in 4k.

Jul 8, 2020 12:22 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I selected the menu option to shut down the Apple TV, then I unplugged it, waited a bit, and plugged it back in. I did not try a device reset since I was concerned that would wipe out my apps and I'd have to re-install them , setup passwords again, etc.

I also just picked up 2 brand new high speed hdmi cables at lunch that I'm going to try shortly, on the off chance that I have a couple of hdmi cables that were flaking out at same time...though every other device is using these cables fine, and if the problem was the cable I would expect that iTunes Movies would have the hdcp error also for 4k movie...but I'm only seeing the hdcp error for the non-apple apps (netflix, Disney+, etc). Nothing changed since last week when this all worked.

Jul 9, 2020 2:31 AM in response to Winston Churchill

just to clarify, I originally replaced the HDMI cable to apple TV with the cable from my working 4k DVD player, and then a hdmi cable from another device and neither worked.

I then went to Best Buy and bought 2 brand new cables and used those new cables and the HDCP error stopped. It is possible those failing cables were not fully rated for high speed hdmi. However, both cables had been working with 4k Apple TV and 4k DVD for a year without issue AND iTunes Movies app on Apple TV still worked with the old cable only the non-Apple streaming apps started giving HDCP error. In any case, it's fixed now and I'll recycle the old cables.

Starting a few days ago, all Apple TV apps (except iTunes Movies) started giving HDCP error for 4k steaming content.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.