Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple 4K and HDCP issue

I have an AppleTV4K directly connected to a Samsung TV.

Sporadically (3-5/week) I do get the HDCP compliant issue message on my TV when trying to stream Live TV via my TV provider app. my Samsung TV 4K is a 2019 newer model. Here is what I have tried before without any success:

• tried 3 different high end cables
  • tried all HDMI ports on my TV
  • bought new AppleTV4K - still same issue
  • changed TV providers - same issue with the new providers live Tv app.
  • manually tried all possible AppleTV video resolutions

other things i tested:

• Same TV apps on an AppleTV HD version work fine
  • same TV providers apps on Amazon fire stick 4K work fine
  • Often the issue goes away when rebooting the AppleTV4K once or more

I have contacted my TV providers, they tell me contact Apple/Samsung as it’s a hardware issue

i have contact Apple, they tell me to contact my TV provider - possibly app issue

samsung… as expected no customer service…

Any Ideas/suggestions other then just downgrade to AppleTVHD or go Amazon Firestick 4K?

anyone else run into this?

thanks!

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 5:27 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 12, 2022 3:09 PM in response to Peter1974A

Punchline for me was I changed the HDMI format output [in AppleTV(ATV) settings>Video/Audio] from YCrCb to RGB High.

Apple recommended to go to settings>video/audio>Check HDMI Connection, but my ATV doesn’t have that as an option.

Other things that worked for the HDCP error between my directly connected ATV and non-4k Vizio, was to change the video format to 720p. But, 1080pSDR eventually worked with Hulu after changing to RGB.

I knew it was an ATV problem because:

-I tried 4 different HDMI cables (high speed, non high speed, hdmi with Ethernet, older

-I tried different hdmi ports on the Vizio

-Updated ATV

-Reset ATV

-Uninstalled/Reinstalled Hulu App

:No change in being able to watch a primetime series without getting the HDCP error.

In the end, I plugged a different ATV (same model) into that tv with same cables and it worked fine with no error.

So, sometimes it’s not the cable, or updating, or anything else except messing around with the AppleTV output settings to interface with your specific television.

Just write down or snap a photo of what your current ATV video output settings are, and then start changing stuff.

If it completely makes the picture messed up, just wait 30 seconds and the ATV will automatically revert back to its original setting as a failsafe.

Apple 4K and HDCP issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.