Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes different on iMac and MacBook Pro

I use the Notes app to organise all of my recipes so they're always available on any of my devices - iMac, MacBook Pro or iPhone 8. But recently I've noticed that some of the folders are not showing up in the Notes app on the iMac. They still exist on the MacBook and iPhone - but not the iMac.

Each of my devices is running the latest compatible version of MacOS or iOS. (That's High Sierra on the iMac; Catalina on the MacBook Pro; and iOS 13.5. My Time Machine HD has died, so I can't use it to restore anything that's been corrupted. But since it's still appearing on my MacBook and iPhone, I'm assuming that there are files located somewhere that can be copied to the iMac. Or am I being naive?

Are there any files or folders on my MacBook that can be copied and used to replace those on the

Can anyone give me some advice ...

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 9:19 AM

UPDATE

After going through the process of a clean install of macOS on the iMac, I checked the Notes app only to discover the problem had not been fixed. So I decided just to bite the bullet and create some new folders in Notes and drag and drop individual notes across. To avoid confusion, I renamed one of the missing folders on my MacBook and created a new folder into which I would transfer the notes. What happened was that the process of renaming the folders caused them to appear in the Notes app on the iMac.

I'm not sure if this makes sense to you guys ... but, problem solved.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2020 9:19 AM in response to hotkeyz69

UPDATE

After going through the process of a clean install of macOS on the iMac, I checked the Notes app only to discover the problem had not been fixed. So I decided just to bite the bullet and create some new folders in Notes and drag and drop individual notes across. To avoid confusion, I renamed one of the missing folders on my MacBook and created a new folder into which I would transfer the notes. What happened was that the process of renaming the folders caused them to appear in the Notes app on the iMac.

I'm not sure if this makes sense to you guys ... but, problem solved.

Jul 9, 2020 4:41 AM in response to BDAqua

No ... the missing Notes folder (and it's contents) are missing when I log in to iCloud.com. They are only visible on the MacBook Pro and the iPhone ... a fact that is beyond my sense of logic.

I can make a change on the MacBook that updates on the iPhone, and vice versa. But it doesn't influence the iMac or iCloud online. Curious ???

Thanks for your help

Jul 9, 2020 6:51 AM in response to Rudegar

Although I've not previously experienced a syncing error - I'm aware of it being an issue at times. But if it's just a syncing error on the iMac because it's running High Sierra (and can't be upgraded) ... I don't understand why the same folder of notes is missing on iCloud.com? Also, the missing folder has previously been on my iMac until sometime in the last month, but has since vanished. So I'm wondering if this is more than just a syncing issue.

It's my understanding that the individual notes, and the hierarchy of folders I use for organisation, are stored in 'the cloud' ... and that's what should appear in Notes on iCloud.com. But that's clearly not the case. I'd assume that if it was a syncing issue with the iMac, then everything on iCloud.com should match the MacBook and the iPhone.

Jul 10, 2020 9:36 AM in response to hotkeyz69

Notes would require a whole OS Reinstall, there are local files you could delete, but to test that...

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Notes different on iMac and MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.