Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White not rendering as pure white. How to fix?

I made a sequence of still images in iMovie. The still images have a pure white background. When I exported the sequence it was rendered with a white background that is not pure white. The video's white background does not match the pure white I have used in a clients website design and is affecting the overall aesthetics which I am unhappy with. How do I get a pure white background rendered in iMovie from imported still images sequence?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 12:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 3:28 AM

Hello,

Select a still in timeline, then select Color Balance:

Next select White Balance tab and set white point manually:

Click Check (blue circle in upper right corner) and go to next still.

2 replies

Jul 9, 2020 7:11 AM in response to Hookapp

Hmmmm. Possibly the problem is with QuickTimePlayer. When I tried a test with a pure-white still exported from iMovie as a video, it did seem a little more creamy white to my eye when played with QT player. Try playing the movie with the VLC player and Handbrake and see if you get a more pure-white display. VLC seemed to play it a little whiter.

You can try exporting from iMovie at the highest, less compressed, settings and see if that helps.

Also, you can try converting your movie to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures the issue.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and see if it plays with the pure white background that you want.

You might also try changing the format of the stills to TIFF, which is much less compressed than JPEG.

-- Rich

White not rendering as pure white. How to fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.