Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect old Cinema Display to MacBook Pro

I have an old Cinema Display that I first connected to an old Mac Pro via DVI. Then I connected it to an iMac with a converter from DVI to Thunderbolt 2 and it worked well. Now I want to connect it to my new Macbook Pro 2019. DVI to Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) does not work. I also have a USB-A and a firewire connecter on the Cinema as possible connections.

MacBook

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 2:55 PM

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for your response.

I just ordered a USB-C to DVI adapter. It sounds like it should work. This adaptor says it works on a MBP 2019 which is what I have. It should work. I'll give it a try.

Thank you,

Fred Hanselmann

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 13, 2020 12:59 PM in response to fhansel

The USB-C to DVI adapter worked fine.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work on the cinema which is now attached to the MacBook Pro is the brightness buttons on the side of the display. They do nothing at all. When I calibrated the Cinema monitor, my Spyder X calibrator says it adjusted brightness for me since I failed to do it in the calibration. Its OK but I would like to be able to adjust brightness. In the systems prefs display panel there is also no way to adjust brightness as there usually is. Any ideas on how to fix the brightness problem?

Thanks a lot for the fix. I appreciate it.

Fred

Connect old Cinema Display to MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.