Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change outgoing outgoing line (number) in messages

I have two sim cards installed on my iPhone, (work and personal) I was sending messages from personal numer and now I want to send it from work, how can I do it? Even when I start new conversation it will automatically start from personal number and I cannot change it.

Please help.

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 1:37 AM

I discover solution:

1. you temporaly disable one of lines - Personal (which you do not want to use for sms).
  2. go to messages and write any of your contatct - when you do that it will notify you that you using anothere line (personal) and ask you if you want to us Work line
  3. click yes
  4. turn on Personal line

Now the your conversation is changed to Work line, when you write message again it will use Work line.

But there is one exception. When your contact write you on Personal line, it will change entire conversation back to Personal line and you have to repeat steps above to change it agan. I recomend you to let your contact now which number they should prefer.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2020 1:37 AM in response to Mars250

I discover solution:

1. you temporaly disable one of lines - Personal (which you do not want to use for sms).
  2. go to messages and write any of your contatct - when you do that it will notify you that you using anothere line (personal) and ask you if you want to us Work line
  3. click yes
  4. turn on Personal line

Now the your conversation is changed to Work line, when you write message again it will use Work line.

But there is one exception. When your contact write you on Personal line, it will change entire conversation back to Personal line and you have to repeat steps above to change it agan. I recomend you to let your contact now which number they should prefer.

Jul 10, 2020 3:36 AM in response to Mars250

Send messages with iMessage and SMS/MMS

You can use iMessage or SMS/MMS to send messages with either phone number.* You can switch phone numbers before you send an iMessage or SMS/MMS message. Here's how:

1. Open Messages.
  2. Tap the New button, in the upper right corner of the screen.
  3. Enter your contact's name.
  4. Tap the current phone number.
  5. Tap the number you want to use.

* Additional fees may apply. Check with your carrier.

Jul 10, 2020 5:24 AM in response to SravanKrA

Yes thi is correct. But there is no problem. Problem is when you already have conversation with any concact and try to text him from another line.

Let's say you create new message and choose line wou want. As soon as you add contact (which you text him from different line) it will show you previous conversation and change line back.

It would help If I delete all previous conversations, but I do not want to do that and of course this is not much clever solution.

Any other suggestions?

Change outgoing outgoing line (number) in messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.