Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV remote will not work with YouTube

Apple TV remote will not work with YouTube. Having the same issue as the other people. On YouTube in Apple TV you cannot use the Apple TV remote

Apple TV HD, tvOS 13

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 9:44 AM

Yes, Youtube specifically tends to have issues with the remote. In that many times the remote's touch pad will stop working in Youtube, but work everywhere else. Buttons still respond, but there's no way to move the cursor around.

Easiest way to fix it, is to force close the Youtube App and open it again.

See here: Switch quickly between and force close Apple TV apps - Apple Support

1. On the Siri Remote, press the Home button twice quickly.
  2. Swipe up on the Touch surface of the Siri Remote to force the highlighted app (the app in the center of the screen) to quit.
  3. Press the menu button to exit the App switcher.
  4. Open Youtube again.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2020 9:44 AM in response to Anunnaki66

Yes, Youtube specifically tends to have issues with the remote. In that many times the remote's touch pad will stop working in Youtube, but work everywhere else. Buttons still respond, but there's no way to move the cursor around.

Easiest way to fix it, is to force close the Youtube App and open it again.

See here: Switch quickly between and force close Apple TV apps - Apple Support

1. On the Siri Remote, press the Home button twice quickly.
  2. Swipe up on the Touch surface of the Siri Remote to force the highlighted app (the app in the center of the screen) to quit.
  3. Press the menu button to exit the App switcher.
  4. Open Youtube again.

Jul 10, 2020 1:21 PM in response to Phil0124

Hi

I have the second-generation apple TV box. .

1. I double clicked the button on the "Siri remote" - do you mean the Apple TV remote? I did that and closed all of the apps that were open in the background; I did not know this was a thing, but it's similar to having multiple apps running on the iPhone, which uses more RAM, I guess. Then I went into settings and restarted apple TV. It now works as intended.
  2. This happens to me intermittently but has been a daily occurrence for the past couple weeks. It would be annoying to have to restart Apple TV on a daily basis just to get the YouTube app to work.
  3. YouTube should address this because after watching vids, I cannot like or dislike a vid because the trackpad on the remote stops working.

Jul 10, 2020 1:41 PM in response to Broman5

The second generation Apple TV does not suffer from this, since the silver aluminum remote it uses, has no track pad. It uses actual physical buttons.

This is an issue with the HD (4th generation) and 4K (5th generation) Apple TVs only as far as I know. The ones that use the black remote called either Apple TV Remote or Siri remote interchangeably.

This one:

Yes, it appears it is something Youtube needs to fix, since I does not seem to affect other Apps that I have seen.

Jul 10, 2020 1:44 PM in response to Broman5

I have the second-generation apple TV box.

Google stopped support for the YouTube app on the second generation Apple TV some years ago. I I don't have a second generation Apple TV running at the moment, but I'm fairly certain that the app no longer works at all, that's if it even there on the home screen.

but it's similar to having multiple apps running on the iPhone, which uses more RAM, I guess.

Having apps open in the background on both the iPhone and the Apple TV does not use RAM, the apps (excluding special ones) are totally inactive one in the background.

Apple TV remote will not work with YouTube

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.