Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps open in last item viewed not in the main window app window.

Iphone 7 with up to date IOS. Many apps open in the last item viewed instead of the main app window. For example, Contacts often opens in XYZ Company instead of the main list of 200 contacts. This has happened with Notes, Messaging, Files & Contacts. In fact in Files it would open into a PDF that I had deleted. This is a waste of time. Most of the time (75% +) I open an app, need to "go back" to the main view window, choose what I want & click it. When I am done I go back to the main window, close the app, clear the app & when I open it again it has gone into a previously viewed item.This is very frustrating & a waste of time. On Notes I finally deleted it & use a 3rd party Note App but for Files, Contacts & Messaging that will not work (I don't think).

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 10:48 AM

After I use an app I go to the main menu page, click home to close, then slide all open apps off the screen so they do not run in the background. Another example is in Files, where once again the app often (most of the time) opens in the last viewed PDF. I have closed the PDF, closed the app, slide off to not run in background....deleted said PDF off my iphone (& icloud) & then when I open files again I am looking at the same PDF. So I don't know why nor have I ever met anyone in my 60 years that would think this is remotely a good feature. I wasted almost 2 hours with Apple attempting to get help the other day. After 3 months (this time) I am very close to throwing the iphone in the trash because it takes so much time to maneuver around to get anything done. Anyway thank you for your help,

DG

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2020 10:48 AM in response to MichelleT18

After I use an app I go to the main menu page, click home to close, then slide all open apps off the screen so they do not run in the background. Another example is in Files, where once again the app often (most of the time) opens in the last viewed PDF. I have closed the PDF, closed the app, slide off to not run in background....deleted said PDF off my iphone (& icloud) & then when I open files again I am looking at the same PDF. So I don't know why nor have I ever met anyone in my 60 years that would think this is remotely a good feature. I wasted almost 2 hours with Apple attempting to get help the other day. After 3 months (this time) I am very close to throwing the iphone in the trash because it takes so much time to maneuver around to get anything done. Anyway thank you for your help,

DG

Jul 14, 2020 6:41 PM in response to Applebitsthebigone

Hello Applebitsthebigone,

We can see that you don't want your apps opening to their prior state. We can understand wanting to have them open refreshed. When closing out of the app, did you force quit these apps? If not, try that to see if it helps. Here's information on How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Best regards!

Jul 15, 2020 10:49 AM in response to Applebitsthebigone

IT DID NOT SOLVE MY QUESTION! WHY WOULD IT BE POSTED THAT WAY? Unbelievable

DG

Apps open in last item viewed not in the main window app window.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.