Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an old Airport Express for airplay with a non-Airport router

I have used my airport express (model A1392) in the past for Airplay with no issues with an Airport as my main router. I'm not trying to set it up for the same thing with a Netgear router. I've reset the airport express and am in the Airport Utility setup process. I click 'Add to Existing Network', find my network and then get to this section and I'm not sure what to put in:

I have tried entering the SSID shown on the back of my router (NETGEARxx) and the router's password, but then the setup just gets to 'Waiting for NETGEARxx' and spins for a while before saying it encountered an unexpected error. What am I doing wrong?

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 1:50 PM

Try a Factory Default Reset on the AirPort Express a few times.

reset airport base station

Power off and restart your main WiFi router

Restart your Mac as well

If still no luck, try an iPhone or iPad for the setup of the Express

Home Screen > Settings > WiFi > Set Up New AirPort Base Station > AirPort Express

If you continue to see the same error message, the Express is defective and will need to be replaced.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2020 1:50 PM in response to mitchell.sam

Try a Factory Default Reset on the AirPort Express a few times.

reset airport base station

Power off and restart your main WiFi router

Restart your Mac as well

If still no luck, try an iPhone or iPad for the setup of the Express

Home Screen > Settings > WiFi > Set Up New AirPort Base Station > AirPort Express

If you continue to see the same error message, the Express is defective and will need to be replaced.

Jul 10, 2020 11:24 AM in response to mitchell.sam

The setup utility thinks that the name of your wireless network is Shmendypete-2.4.

If that is correct, then in the box next to Base Station Name......type in a short simple device name that you want to call the AirPort Express........example......Express

In the box next to Password.......type in the WiFi password that you use to connect to the Shmendypete-2.4 wireless network.

In the box next to Verify......type in the same password again to confirm

Click Next and follow the prompts

Jul 10, 2020 1:43 PM in response to mitchell.sam

The Base Station Name does matter. Use a short phrase......anything you want...... for the Base Station Name.....no more than 16 characters.......with no special characters like a $ (dollar sign), or a ' (apostrophe), etc and no blank spaces.

SamsExpress would be OK

Sam's Old AirPort Express would not be OK

All that you are really doing here is connecting the Express just like another new WiFi device would connect to your network. You would select the name of the WiFi network to join, and then enter the password to connect.

Using an old Airport Express for airplay with a non-Airport router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.