Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a monitor for MacBook

hey,

I have a MacBook Pro and I have a question about using a monitor.

I understand that I cannot use close the lid of my MacBook while connected to a monitor with HDMI without the Mac going to sleep unless its plugged to a power source.

the question is:

should I leave the lid up and dim the brightness to none while I'm using the monitor?

should I let my MacBook plugged all the time?

I don't want to play with the cables every time that I need to use my Mac... its really frustrating.

another thing, I find an article that said that part of the MacBook cooling system is in the keyboards, so using the MacBook with the lid closed and plugged in for along time really makes that MacBook hot, even the keyboards. I don't think that its healthy.

I hope someone will help me find a good solution for this problem :)

MacBook

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 12:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 7:04 AM

You can use either closed display mode or leave the display open the choice is yours. Your computer will not be damaged regardless of method used. You can leave the computer plugged in. The battery will not overcharge nor be damaged. The computer will cool regardless of the display method used.

"I hope someone will help me find a good solution for this problem :)" There is no problem.

Use your Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with an external display - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2020 7:04 AM in response to YosiSMS

You can use either closed display mode or leave the display open the choice is yours. Your computer will not be damaged regardless of method used. You can leave the computer plugged in. The battery will not overcharge nor be damaged. The computer will cool regardless of the display method used.

"I hope someone will help me find a good solution for this problem :)" There is no problem.

Use your Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with an external display - Apple Support

Using a monitor for MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.