Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does MacBook Pro M1 Pro 2021 cool better open or closed? - Display gets Hot

Is it bad for the Display when I shut the lid of my MacBook 2021 - with external Monitor when I do Graphic intense things like Gaming? I usually use it with a closed Lid and monitor - like a desktop.

But when I game CPU & GPU intense games it gets pretty **** hot and I closed the Lid once because for the Fans it doesn't make a difference (open or closed is the same) BUT.. when closed, the DISPLAY gets very HOT too... Its a Retina XDR Display. Is it better to leave it open so the Display doesn't touch the hot Mac? - Thank You!

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 9:48 AM

cesur226 wrote:

Is it bad for the Display when I shut the lid of my MacBook 2021 - with external Monitor when I do Graphic intense things like Gaming? I usually use it with a closed Lid and monitor - like a desktop.
But when I game CPU & GPU intense games it gets pretty **** hot and I closed the Lid once because for the Fans it doesn't make a difference (open or closed is the same) BUT.. when closed, the DISPLAY gets very HOT too... Its a Retina XDR Display. Is it better to leave it open so the Display doesn't touch the hot Mac? - Thank You!

I would think it better with the lid open...if there is an issue.

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

You can see fans, cpu, gpu from Terminal, copy and paste:

sudo powermetrics -n 1 --samplers smc | egrep -i "FAN|CPU die|GPU die"

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2022 9:48 AM in response to cesur226

cesur226 wrote:

I would think it better with the lid open...if there is an issue.

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

You can see fans, cpu, gpu from Terminal, copy and paste:

sudo powermetrics -n 1 --samplers smc | egrep -i "FAN|CPU die|GPU die"

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Does MacBook Pro M1 Pro 2021 cool better open or closed? - Display gets Hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.