Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hulu not working on Apple TV

Am having a problem with the Hulu app. When I start Apple TV and select Hulu app it just spins and and spins. I have to unplug the power to the Apple TV device and restart. How do I delete the app and reload?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 2:47 PM

Try the following steps for the Apple TV HD/4k, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Check that there isn’t an update for the App, navigate to the App Store ➔ Purchased, scroll down and select the app and then navigate to and select the update option (if appropriate). You may wish to have your apps update automatically (Settings ➔ Apps ➔ Update Automatically ➔ On).
  2. Try restarting the Apple TV (Settings ➔ System ➔ Restart)
  3. Try restarting the network router.
  4. Press the TV button on the remote twice to activate the app launcher, scroll left/right to locate and select the app that you are having a problem with and swipe up to close (quit) it. Relaunch the app from the menu screen to check if it is now working.
  5. Try deleting it and reinstalling the problematic app. There are 2 methods of deleting an app.

• Select the app on the main screen and press and hold the touchpad until the app icon wobbles. Press the play/pause button and choose delete from the menu that appears.
  • Navigate to Settings ➔ General ➔ Usage ➔ Manage Storage, scroll and select the trash can to the right of the problematic app and choose delete from the menu that appears.

I’m not really sure if there is any difference between the two methods but there have been some suggestions that the wobble method has resulted in some app data being left behind and ultimately causing an issue when the app is reinstalled.

To reinstall an app navigate to the App Store ➔ Purchased, scroll down and select the app and then navigate to and select the install option.

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2020 2:47 PM in response to shjrober

Try the following steps for the Apple TV HD/4k, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Check that there isn’t an update for the App, navigate to the App Store ➔ Purchased, scroll down and select the app and then navigate to and select the update option (if appropriate). You may wish to have your apps update automatically (Settings ➔ Apps ➔ Update Automatically ➔ On).
  2. Try restarting the Apple TV (Settings ➔ System ➔ Restart)
  3. Try restarting the network router.
  4. Press the TV button on the remote twice to activate the app launcher, scroll left/right to locate and select the app that you are having a problem with and swipe up to close (quit) it. Relaunch the app from the menu screen to check if it is now working.
  5. Try deleting it and reinstalling the problematic app. There are 2 methods of deleting an app.

• Select the app on the main screen and press and hold the touchpad until the app icon wobbles. Press the play/pause button and choose delete from the menu that appears.
  • Navigate to Settings ➔ General ➔ Usage ➔ Manage Storage, scroll and select the trash can to the right of the problematic app and choose delete from the menu that appears.

I’m not really sure if there is any difference between the two methods but there have been some suggestions that the wobble method has resulted in some app data being left behind and ultimately causing an issue when the app is reinstalled.

To reinstall an app navigate to the App Store ➔ Purchased, scroll down and select the app and then navigate to and select the install option.

Jul 13, 2020 6:35 PM in response to arindar

Sorry, but that's erroneous. Hulu tech support would never be working on an issue with the Apple TV. However, that is a spurious matter in any case.

Take a look at http://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html scroll down to section G and look at the APP MAINTENANCE AND SUPPORT paragraph, you will note it says...

Apple is responsible for providing maintenance and support for Apple Apps only, or as required under applicable law. App Providers are responsible for providing maintenance and support for Third Party Apps.

Aug 17, 2020 11:18 AM in response to Brian in PDX

Mine finally resolved itself. been working fine for a month or so now - after not working on 3 TV's.

I deleted it a few times and still had the issue - but then after force closing the app several nights in a row and starting to always properly shut down the TV by long pressing the top right "home" button which brings up the side bar where you can power down all devices. Not sure if that was the secret but my HULU is working great now.

There was also an update that came out a couple weeks ago so make sure your up to date :)

Hulu not working on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.