Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File & Folder Management

In Mac OS Catalina how do I drag and drop files? My new MacBook Air doesn't seem to allow it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 10:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 10:16 PM

Really, Redhillsenior?

Mac OS Catalina, on my Mac mini, has no trouble with "drag and drop" of files, within the Finder. (I tend to use a trackpad, rather than a mouse, so it's behaviors should be similar on a MacBook.)

I don't see why a MacBook Air should be any different.

Note: I have noticed a bit of "finickiness" when dragging files: it seems too easy for them to be "let go" prematurely. (I suspect the issue may have to do with the way the Magic Trackpad, I'm using, has two levels of "click". So, if I click "too hard", it tends to "think" that I want to do "something else".)

What behavior are you seeing when you attempts the "drag and drop" operation?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2020 10:16 PM in response to Redhillsenior

Really, Redhillsenior?

Mac OS Catalina, on my Mac mini, has no trouble with "drag and drop" of files, within the Finder. (I tend to use a trackpad, rather than a mouse, so it's behaviors should be similar on a MacBook.)

I don't see why a MacBook Air should be any different.

Note: I have noticed a bit of "finickiness" when dragging files: it seems too easy for them to be "let go" prematurely. (I suspect the issue may have to do with the way the Magic Trackpad, I'm using, has two levels of "click". So, if I click "too hard", it tends to "think" that I want to do "something else".)

What behavior are you seeing when you attempts the "drag and drop" operation?

Jul 12, 2020 10:18 PM in response to Redhillsenior

Redhillsenior Said:

"File & Folder Management: In Mac OS Catalina how do I drag and drop files? My new MacBook Air doesn't seem to allow it?"

-------

On your Mac, try this...

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Touchpads) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Your hard drive may not be being read promptly, so resetting these, all of the ports would be configured to how they should be.

If performing this once does not work, then try both thrice. I can be time consuming, but the output is more likely to be fixed. All ports' settings should be set back to how they should be configured, with all ports connectivity being as they should.

File & Folder Management

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.