Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Display Mode Not Working.

I recently purchased a Macbook Pro 13" 2020 and the "USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adaptor" intended to use my iMac 21.5" mid 2011 with OS X EI Capitan 10.11.6 as external monitor with the thunderbolt cable. However, it does not work as expected. (all components were authentic and were brought from the apple store)

The iMac 21.5" mid 2011 was connected to MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 using the same thunderbolt cable which works perfect for the past 8+ years...

Various methods had been tried including all the methods proposed in apple support its websites, and I was working with apple's hotline support including check keyboard and related configuration, reboot, reconnect of iMac & Macbook Pro, creation of admin accounts for both sides (Macbook Pro & iMac) for clean environment, reinstall of OS in Macbook Pro etc (with remote login to both all of my devices for diagnosis) for the past weekend (2 days) but it does not help.

I did bring all my stuff (except the iMac which proof it works with a video captured shows to support staff) today to apple store but still could not made it...

Your response herein is highly appreciated (pls don't share those links to me as we perform those already), or I shall return the product to Apple and get refund (for the Adaptor) as it does not serve / perform as described on Apple's product page.

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 9:19 AM

As per the Target display support document: You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

2020 models are not supported for Target Display.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 13, 2020 9:16 AM in response to adamchkwan

This is the governing article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Apple has not stated that the 2020 MacBook Pro does not work with this, but yours is not the first complaint about not working with a 2020 MacBook Pro. If you have been working with Apple Support, please be sure they have filed a Bug report so that Apple will continue to work on it.

Target Display Mode Not Working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.