Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook bricked at 1008F error and can't not access Recovery mode

I have been on macOS Big Sur for a week and decided to downgrade back to Catalina. My mistake was erasing both Machintosh HD and Macintosh HD Data in order to perform a clean install while not allowing to boot from external drive.

Now I don't have the option to enter Recovery Mode. I tried every combination of Command - Control - Option and R but it refuses to go to the Recovery mode menu and prompts me directly to Internet Recovery Mode.

In the Internet Recovery Mode after I connect to WiFi and wait 20 minutes for the installation I always get the 1008F error!

Already tried to reset the NVRAM and SMC, remove the MacBook from "Find My" and iCloud, hold option to install from a USB Catalina and Windows installer but it always lead to Internet Recovery Mode and 1008F error.

Is there a way to reformat the disk or open the Terminal without Recovery Mode? For older Macs there was the Command - S solution.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 10:24 AM

Update: Currently there is no solution to solve this problem. I ended up sending my Mac to the Apple Service and they had to change the entire Logic Board. Luckily, the whole procedure was covered by the Apple Limited Warranty.

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 24, 2020 12:43 PM in response to plasmauser

I want to say that my MacBook worked after these few steps but it is possible that my solution is not working for your MacBook.

First things do you need:

• MacBook Pro Charger
  • iPad or any other Device which is connected to the same iCloud as the MacBook Pro
  • Stable WiFi Connection for macOS Download / Recovery Internet Download

Steps which I did and fixed it:

1. Go with your other Device to your Settings then go to your device and remove it
    1. Be sure that in Find My App isn't the MacBook anymore
  2. IF YOUR BETA TESTER do following, if not skip
    1. Login on Beta Tester Page
    2. Quit Beta Test (Hidden on the bottom of the page, I'm not meaning the remove/reset/unregister device!)
  3. Wait 5-6 Hours (I Waited that much after many tries not working)
  4. Do NVRAM Reset (YOUR CHARGER MUST BE CONNECTED WHILE DOING THIS)
  5. Power off the MacBook Pro
  6. Do SMC Reset (YOUR CHARGER MUST BE CONNECTED WHILE DOING THIS)
  7. Power off the MacBook Pro
  8. Start MacBookPro with Option-Command-R
  9. Now the MacBook Pro is starting without error F1008F

P.S.: Im now writing over that MacBook, and I was never in an Apple Store.

Hope this will help if not I'm sorry :(

Steps 4 & 6 could be switched but only that way worked at my MacBook :)

Jul 24, 2020 12:53 PM in response to enrico236

Thanks a lot for the insight. Glad that you fixed the problem quite easily. Apple did a Logic Board replacement for mine and now it's working fine. I wasn't aware of the connected charger situation tho.

Also, there are still more people on this forum with the same problem and your insight could be very helpful for them and even Apple, so please share this information anywhere you can if you have the possibility.

Jul 24, 2020 6:47 PM in response to plasmauser

You may want to review the terms of the NDA you agreed to when signing up which state that neither you nor we are allowed to discuss anything beta related anywhere. Your only recourse is to use the built in feedback assistant; other than that, you are on your own unfortunately.

So, the hosts will most likely remove the other post since we are not allowed to discuss anything beta related.

MacBook bricked at 1008F error and can't not access Recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.