Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV gets black screen in various places.

We just purchased an Apple TV to replaced on older Apple TV series 2. The setup went pretty smoothly, with no real issues. We started to watch Hamilton on DIsney +, and kept getting black screens at random times and for for various lengths of time. I assumed this to be a streaming issue, although we don't usually see this type of behavior on other devices - our internet speed is typically in the 100+Mbps range (124 Mbps just now for download). Our TV provider is DISH, which also has no perceived issues. Since that time, I have had similar issues watching video on Apple + as well, and now have been getting it moving between menu selections where no downloads should be occurring. I have upgraded to the latest TVos release, with no change.

what should I try to correct the problem?

Thanks,

Jerry

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 1:23 AM

Verify the cables, by disconnecting on both sends, then reconnecting again. That would also reset the HDMI connection on a software level.

Try on a different HDMI port.

Try different HDMI cables.

Try on a different TV.

Try with a TV without other equipment, if applicable.

If that still doesn’t help locate the bad spot, then have Apple check the unit under warranty.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2020 1:23 AM in response to tbdbitl-k7

Verify the cables, by disconnecting on both sends, then reconnecting again. That would also reset the HDMI connection on a software level.

Try on a different HDMI port.

Try different HDMI cables.

Try on a different TV.

Try with a TV without other equipment, if applicable.

If that still doesn’t help locate the bad spot, then have Apple check the unit under warranty.

Jul 16, 2020 1:17 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for the response. I will try changing the HDMI setup. I replaced an Apple TV series 2, with this one - the port on the TV is the same one, but there are other ports. I did et a new HDMI cable, but it was the one recommended by Apple, and was ordered at the same time. I do have the old HDMI cable from the original Apple box, so that can be tried too. As for the TV, can't swap that out, so hope that isn't the issue.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems that the screen goes black, and when it comes back, the picture is paused. There is no rotating beach ball, or other indication that it is trying to buffer anything. Hitting the start button the remore gets us going again, but not always at the same exact spot - a second or so off, usually.

Thanks again.

Apple TV gets black screen in various places.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.