Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up iPhone 5 to Restore to iPhone 10

I bought an iPhone 5 in 2014.

I allowed almost everything, except 'Photos' and 'Safari' to use iCloud.

And 'iCloud Backup' was set to OFF - I have never backed up my iPhone!

Now I want to backup my iPhone, so I can restore it to a new iPhone 10.

I just copied 1000+ photos/videos from my iPhone to my Mac Mini photos app. So they are safe.

My question is do I use iCloud to back up my phone and leave photo library turned off? And will the photos return to my new iPhone?

Also should I turn Safari on? or does it matter that I lose some Bookmarks?

OR do I backup my iPhone using iTunes on my MAC?

And then what happens to all the Notes and Contacts that are in iCloud? Will they transfer to new iPhone?

Newbie and confused!

iPhone 5c, iOS 10

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 10:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 4:09 PM

terabyte1 wrote:

My question is do I use iCloud to back up my phone and leave photo library turned off? And will the photos return to my new iPhone?

And then what happens to all the Notes and Contacts that are in iCloud? Will they transfer to new iPhone?

You cannot use iCloud to back up your iPhone with respect to the photos. If you wish to leave iCloud Photos turned off on the new phone, you will have to consider just leaving it on the device providing the device has enough storage (on-device, not iCloud) to store it.

If you don't turn on Safari, then your bookmarks won't sync across your devices and you may end up losing some of all of it.

All Notes and Contacts will transfer once you sign in to the new iPhone with your Apple ID and password.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2020 4:09 PM in response to terabyte1

terabyte1 wrote:

You cannot use iCloud to back up your iPhone with respect to the photos. If you wish to leave iCloud Photos turned off on the new phone, you will have to consider just leaving it on the device providing the device has enough storage (on-device, not iCloud) to store it.

If you don't turn on Safari, then your bookmarks won't sync across your devices and you may end up losing some of all of it.

All Notes and Contacts will transfer once you sign in to the new iPhone with your Apple ID and password.

Backing up iPhone 5 to Restore to iPhone 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.