Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Health Failing to Synchronise Energy burned from Garmin Connect

I do workouts on the bike, recorded by a Garmin Edge 530 and sync’d to Garmin Connect running on an up-to-date iPhone XR.

For months I have been synchronising these workouts to apple health and apple activity with no problems. The workouts appear in the apps and the KJ are counted towards the Move ring.

Then for some reason it completely stops adding KJ from all Garmin connect workouts to the health and activity apps. This is the second time I have encountered this problem. The work-around solution last time was a full reset of the iPhone.

See below for evidence of the problem.

I am wondering whether the volume of heart rate data recorded on a Wahoo Tickr and sync’d from the Garmin to Apple Health eventually overwhelms it’s internal data store. I do a lot of long rides. Apple Health on the phone is currently utilising 1.75GB of data.

iPhone XR running up-to-date OS.

Apple Watch S5 running up-to-date OS.

Garmin Edge 530 which syncs to Garmin Connect on iPhone XR.

iPhone XR

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 11:29 PM

10 replies

Jul 18, 2020 12:42 PM in response to cx647

Hi cx647,

Thanks for your post! We understand you are seeing a discrepancy between your activity data on your Apple Watch and iPhone XR. We understand the last time this issue occurred, you were able to resolve the issue by resetting the iPhone. If you haven't already, follow the steps listed in the article below. Prior to completing these steps, restart both your iPhone and Apple Watch.

Let us know what you find out!

Take care!

Jul 20, 2020 7:08 AM in response to cx647

Hi cx647,

Thanks for the response. We see the issue is strictly related to your Garmin device syncing to your iPhone XR. Let's make sure your Garmin device is selected as the prioritized source in Health. Review the section "Prioritize data sources" in the article below.

Manage Health data on your iPhone, iPod touch, or Apple Watch

If the issue persists, try troubleshooting the Garmin app, including deleting and reinstalling.

If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Jul 30, 2020 7:08 PM in response to cx647

So the above solution did not work.

Did a 3 hour workout this morning and same problem.

I also see that there are other posts on this forum reporting the same problem.

Given that it has happened to me and 140+ other people have indicated it has happened to them, it is not an isolated issue.

There is a work-around however, as reported by https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250156481

Unlink Garmin Connect as a data source in Apple Health across all categories.

Add Strava as a data source.

This will work for cyclists because if it ain’t on Strava, it did not happen.

There must be something in the Garmin Payload that is causing issues, but don’t hold your breath for Apple or Garmin to investigate and resolve permanently.

Jul 29, 2020 12:19 AM in response to raina_b22

Hi @raina_b22

Thanks for the guidance. I have re-installed Garmin Connect and re-prioritised the data sources as suggested. I have completed 3 workouts over 3 days and still the same problem. The workouts are visible in the iPhone’s Activity App, but not in Apple Health. In the Activity App, i can see the imported Workout from GarminConnect along with all the energy time and heart rate data. The Exercise ring is correct, but the Move ring has not applied the energy consumed from the workout.

If the data is not importing correctly, can someone point me in the direction of some specific logs on the iPhone that I can investigate to get to the bottom of the issue?

Jul 18, 2020 6:08 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Hi Joseph. Why would you believe this has anything to do with the Apple Watch? I am recording workouts on a Garmin Edge 530 device, syncing to my iPhone XR via Garmin Connect App, and then sharing the workout data to Apple Health on the iPhone XR.

i have tried the restarts, and done another workout, but again the KJ burned fails to be applied after a 2 hour ride.

Jul 29, 2020 12:48 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terrance. Thanks for your help, but alas it is most certainly not the cause.

I had this problem last year. Only a full reset of the Phone was the solution.

After the reset the WorkOuts were syncing fine again for many months and then the same issue comes back.

The latest problem started many weeks ago, long before Garmin got their pants pulled down.

I work in IT and I can read JSON which is what all of the Analytical logs are output in.

Surely there has to be a failure being reported in the logs which can help pinpoint the failure.

Jul 29, 2020 7:06 PM in response to MoonJ.

Thanks MoonJ. I just did that and the solution was same as before. Reset the watch (not the phone).

It seems that the Exercise, Move and Stand Rings are calculated by the Watch.

In order for the watch to do this, my Workout recorded on the Garmin has to make the following journey:

Garmin Edge 530 -> Garmin Connect App -> Apple Health -> Apple Watch.

And it looks like after several months of data (>1GB of activity data on the watch) something breaks down in the watch.

The apple support consultant indicated this was a known bug and the solution is a reset of the watch.

Last time I did this I think it was a repair as a new watch which worked (no restore).

This time I am doing the repair as existing watch with restore.

Hopefully this works.

It’s frustrating that the WatchOS software has this problem and the work-around is a reset.

Apple Health Failing to Synchronise Energy burned from Garmin Connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.