Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 13-inch 2020 speakers crackling and distorting sound

My Macbook Pro 13-inch 2020 speakers keep randomly crackling and distorting sound when played from Spotify, Youtube etc.. Restarting fixes it but it's happened twice in less than a week of me owning it. Seems to be happening when I open it, once first thing in the morning and just now at night after using it periodically throughout the day. I don't understand.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 5:23 AM

Similar questions

72 replies

Jul 18, 2020 2:43 PM in response to gpress64

Hello gpress64,

We see that you're having issues with the sound coming from your internal speakers. We can understand wanting to have that fixed permanently. Here are a few links that we feel will support you with the problems you're experiencing.

If you follow the steps on these pages and still have the issue, you'll want to Contact Apple for support and service.

Best regards!

Jan 2, 2021 2:27 AM in response to gpress64

I have Mac Pro 13 inch 2020 with Touch Bar, I have same problem too. It appears to be a design issue. It is bothering me as it crackles more often and my laptop is less than 3 months old. The problem started within a month. I took it for repair at apple store, they had the laptop for a day and said couldn't replicate it but lot of us have the same issue.

I still have this problem reappearing.

I also found another thread with similar issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7772834?login=true

Feb 15, 2021 5:12 AM in response to tdferreira84

This was suggested by the Apple Support agent.

Try deleting these files first, by running these commands in Terminal:

> sudo rm -rf /Library/Preferences/com.apple.soundpref.plist (Note: if this file is not present, continue to the next file below.)

> sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.soundpref.plist

> sudo rm -rf /Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist

> sudo rm -rf /Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist

If this doesn't solve the crackling sound issue, we should use Capture Data app (see below) to record the system state when the issue happens and then send it to Apple.

Please follow these instructions on how to do it:

1. Download this disk image.

2. Open the disk image, then open the application it contains. The application will automatically locate the requested files.

3. To send the files, contact Apple Support online service and ask for a link to send the files.

On top of that, it's also good that you make a small video that clearly shows the problem and also send it to the Apple Support service.

Jul 18, 2020 7:39 PM in response to chris_g1

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately I already checked the sound in system preferences and everything is working and normal. I think my issue is related to the audio hardware and not in settings. The problem only occurs occasionally and randomly, for example when I first open it in the day, however, it did happen while I was watching a Youtube video, it just flipped to the distorted audio and didn't go away. My computer is updated to the most recent update as advised by Apple but it is still happening.

Aug 5, 2020 8:29 PM in response to ames134

I took my Pro into Apple as I tried everything they had suggested (updating etc.) and it was still doing it randomly. They said it wasn't a hardware issue (they ran an analysis and everything came back as working), they restarted the T2 chip in my Pro as apparently they have issues with the chip sometimes. I am waiting to see if it happens again, and if it does they said to erase the disk and reinstall MacOS (they emailed me step by steps on how to do this).

Sep 4, 2020 6:58 AM in response to gpress64

I'm also having a similar issue. Only had my MacBook about two weeks and on two occasions while watching videos the sounds just suddenly distorts terribly and stays that way. After that, does not matter if I'm streaming video or playing an audio file, the sound is heavily distorted. Restarting the computer seems to fix it, for awhile, but that is a huge pain. Dismayed to hear that Apple has not identified the problem and a fix.

Sep 4, 2020 7:00 AM in response to Hank204

Sounds like the same thing, I took my Pro into Apple as I tried everything they had suggested (updating etc.) and it was still doing it randomly. They said it wasn't a hardware issue (they ran an analysis and everything came back as working), they restarted the T2 chip in my Pro as apparently they have issues with the chip sometimes. I am waiting to see if it happens again, and if it does they said to erase the disk and reinstall MacOS (they emailed me step by steps on how to do this).

Sep 21, 2020 7:55 AM in response to Hank204

Exact same problem here. New 2020 13" MacBook Pro. Crackling / distorted sound when using the MB Pro internal speakers. Restart fixes the problem, but only temporarily. Definitely a systemic issue with these latest round of MacBooks. Apple...are you listening? Looks like you had the same problem a few years back with the 16" MacBook Pros. Time to fix the issue again ASAP!

Sep 21, 2020 8:07 AM in response to rock_island_2020_mb_pro

Yeah, I chatted with support a few days ago...they offered to exchange for a new one, though not sure how widespread the problem is, but may be worth a shot. Also, they told me that the return/exchange window is extended to 45 days (from normal 14) due to pandemic, which is helpful. Alternative is taking in for repair, but based on earlier posts, does not sound like that offers much hope.

Sep 21, 2020 8:11 AM in response to Hank204

Interesting. Yeah me taking in to an Apple store isn't going to happen. Don't live anywhere near one. And I've confirmed the problem isn't isolated to just my MacBook Pro speakers. Happens no matter the audio device I'm using (bluetooth headphones, external monitor with speakers, etc). All the same distorted sound problem. Guess I'll give Apple a ring. I've had this Mac all of a week!

Oct 7, 2020 9:18 AM in response to gpress64

Go to Spotlight/Search, type "Terminal", copy-paste that command and run it. It'll prompt you to enter your password, since it's making a system change.

(In general, you shouldn't just run random commands if you don't understand what they do, since they could do things like delete the contents of your laptop. This one doesn't, though.)

The command stops and restarts what seem to be Apple's audio drivers, or some software associated with the audio. This suggests the crackling is a software bug, not a problem with faulty hardware.

Note: while this fixed the original issue for me (speakers crackly 100% of the time), I'm still noticing the occasional "pop" from my laptop speakers, which shouldn't be happening. I'm not sure why yet.

Macbook Pro 13-inch 2020 speakers crackling and distorting sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.