Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Showing special Unicode characters on MacOS

Hey,

I had an issue recently with several foreign Unicode characters.

https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/block/U+1FA00

The link above contains an example of character not working for me.

Have anyone managed to solve this issue?

I also reported Apple about this. Hope to get a proper solution soon.

Thanks,

Elior Digmi.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 8:29 AM

The display of any unicode character depends on there being a font installed on your computer that has them, and Apple does not provide fonts for all 140,000. For those chess notation characters, added to Unicode in 2019, font support is still very limited and probably no computer out of the box will display them. I will try to find one that has them.

I assume you have no problem with the ordinary (U+2654 and on) chess symbols? ♔♕♖♗♘♙♚♛♜♝♞♟

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2020 8:29 AM in response to Eliory09

The display of any unicode character depends on there being a font installed on your computer that has them, and Apple does not provide fonts for all 140,000. For those chess notation characters, added to Unicode in 2019, font support is still very limited and probably no computer out of the box will display them. I will try to find one that has them.

I assume you have no problem with the ordinary (U+2654 and on) chess symbols? ♔♕♖♗♘♙♚♛♜♝♞♟

Showing special Unicode characters on MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.