Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac after virus , should I start new iCloud ? Apple ID?

Hello,

I got newly Mac after There where some kind of virus programs on the old one .

this one was connected to my iCloud . With a lot of files etc.

Now I definitely don’t want to have the same troubles again , So should I start a new iCloud ? Or even a new Apple ID .

I am worried the problem might have slipped in the iCloud files and would cause the same problems on the new one.

the problem I had was not found by antivirus so I can’t remove or quarantine it.

should I play save ?

any advice is very welcome .

many thanks !

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 2:57 PM

Usual route for getting dreck installed is getting phished, or deliberately installing the malware, in the form of add-on “system cleaners”, add-on “security“ tools, add-on “anti-virus” apps, add-on VPN clients, system optimizers, “free” stuff apps for coupons or offers, and ~everything involving cryptocurrencies.

Stick to installing from the Mac App Store, or directly from trusted vendors.

And again, add-on “security” tools can be sketchy. Or can be malware.

The built-in Apple anti-malware works reasonably well.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2020 2:57 PM in response to MRdontknowitall

Usual route for getting dreck installed is getting phished, or deliberately installing the malware, in the form of add-on “system cleaners”, add-on “security“ tools, add-on “anti-virus” apps, add-on VPN clients, system optimizers, “free” stuff apps for coupons or offers, and ~everything involving cryptocurrencies.

Stick to installing from the Mac App Store, or directly from trusted vendors.

And again, add-on “security” tools can be sketchy. Or can be malware.

The built-in Apple anti-malware works reasonably well.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Jul 15, 2020 2:35 PM in response to MRdontknowitall

There aren't any viruses for Mac, you likely had another kind of malware. Regardless of which there was no reason to replace your Mac. However, now you have, the only place I think you might be harbouring an infected file is in iCloud Drive. So long as you don't instal anything that you are asked to, that you didn't expect, signing back into iCloud shouldn't be a problem.

Even in the extremely unlikely event that your new Mac does get infected, you can always do what you should have done with your previous Mac and erase it and restore a new system again.

Jul 16, 2020 1:38 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks all for your Quick response , Much appreciated!

I am only worried cause i did try a lot with my Mac to get rid of the problem , did clean installs etc. Even got it 3 times checked in official Apple repair center.

but the problem stayed ,

official Apple support told my that most viruses can be wiped but not 100 %

I think the problem I got was more some kind of Small program running or alteration of basic system.

it started when opening files from a torrent site , And I couldn’t get All of it removed.

so more caution now .

if I don’t open any old files from the cloud drive or even erase all , there is no way anything can get on back on the Mac?

i know that malicious threats Can be under all Add buttons and I definitely don’t want to click on them . I buy original music and programs.

but I did tried to download things years ago From torrentsite and it went wrong .

many thanks for you time !

Jul 16, 2020 2:58 AM in response to MRdontknowitall

I would think you should delete any files you downloaded from a torrent site; but, providing you stay away from unofficial sources for your downloads and watch out you don't accept downloads and instals that you weren't expecting, keeping your Mac clean should be relatively easy.

Also stay away from supposed cleaning services and antivirus software, your Mac itself has it's own defences which are very good. Some of these programs come with malware themselves and even where they don't, they tend to slow your Mac down doing all sorts of uneccesary stuff.

Jul 16, 2020 1:50 PM in response to MrHoffman

hi again ,

my problem was/is : I have a strange screen which seems to “tril”and in closer inspection there seems to be some kind of pattern , that flickers and distortions all the time , like is getting you crazy ,

I posted some time ago some posts to search for solutions . But didn’t get it solved . after many attempts and help.

For me it seemed it was put on the Mac by purpose. As is started when I opened old music/video files on a ext-harddrive that came from a torrentsite . That’s some years ago , and my Mac at that time had the same problem . ( grayed out tints , lines around everything on the screen and quiet reddish look , I also found more then 400 photo’s on my Mac with rather disturbing subjects like terrorist, American presidents and stuff like that ,

I deleted them right away

but the strange screen stayed .

strangly On my new Mac not all of the strange screen could be removed with clean installs end resetting nvram etc.. It also doesn’t show as hardware issues.

So I am definitely not downloading from non-official sites Again or clicking on banners 🙂

now I was worried ,if in any how it could get back on my computer .with a clean new one I definitely don’t want it again.

because I think it multiplies on usb sticks , etc that you connect.

so maybe this goes to the cloud to ??? I don’t know if this is possible ?

but if I delete any old files,videos , programs that were on my old Mac in the iCloud I should be save ?

( the files from where the problem originated are deleted and hard drive destroyed )

with kind regards !

Jul 16, 2020 2:07 PM in response to MRdontknowitall

Torrents are commonly operated for folks that think they’re getting a great deal, and those same folks are actually getting scammed.

Working assumption for any system that’s loaded apps and docs from torrents is a catastrophic security breach.

In short... Wipe, start over, NOTHING from the previous environment.

Change ALL your passwords.

INCLUDING the passwords on your mail server accounts.

Verify trusted telephone numbers.

Photos using standard formats are probably (likely) safe to copy, but the rest of the existing environment... anything that can execute code, including Microsoft Office docs and some PDF files, not so much. And malicious images can potentially trigger bugs in readers.

You will want to assume and expect that all your confidential data has been uploaded.

Aug 7, 2020 12:08 AM in response to MrHoffman

A late "Thanks for your reply !"

I have first deleted the files in my iCloud on all my devise , only left the foto's .

and then reconnected my iCloud to my new computer . I changed all of my old passwords that were used on the computer.

I checked that any password was leaked . only 3 were. and they were from dubious sites.

everything seems to work fine

thanks , greets

New Mac after virus , should I start new iCloud ? Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.