Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I might have a Virus on my old Mac and I'm scared of bringing it into my new Mac. But I still want my pictures/music and documents in my new Mac do you have any solution would it spotted the virus and just bring every safe document?

I might have a Virus on my old Mac and I'm scared of bringing it into my new Mac. But I still want my pictures/music and documents in my new Mac do you have any solution would it spotted the virus and just bring every safe document?

I've just bought a new MacBook Pro and just want to take all my documents/pictures and music from my old computer to this one. Nevertheless my old compute seems to be infected by an app called "appnos" which cannot be deleted and only forced quit into the activity monitor. Anyway the reason I bought this new computer is to get rid of it so I'm scared if I just do a recovery to get my things on this computer it would bring it with it.

Thanks for your help

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 16, 2019 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2019 7:32 PM

A new computer will have the MacOS already installed, and with System Integrity Protection, the system directories are locked. With Catalina (if so equipped) the invariant part of the system is on a separate logical Volume that is Read Only.

What that means to you is that you can use Migration Assistant (or Setup Assistant on first run ONLY) to bring across your files with no fear of introducing old problems onto your new Mac.

Regardless of the source, nothing except pre-installed Apple software can get on the "OK to run" whitelist until you approve them, one at a time, by trying to run them and entering your Admin Password.

Your Mac could be paved with malware, but as long as they can't be run, there is nothing to fear. There is no need to be running a scanner non-stop looking for patterns. Use MalwareBytes once and then just be Vigilant when your Mac asks for authorization to run something.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2019 7:32 PM in response to JusteVP

A new computer will have the MacOS already installed, and with System Integrity Protection, the system directories are locked. With Catalina (if so equipped) the invariant part of the system is on a separate logical Volume that is Read Only.

What that means to you is that you can use Migration Assistant (or Setup Assistant on first run ONLY) to bring across your files with no fear of introducing old problems onto your new Mac.

Regardless of the source, nothing except pre-installed Apple software can get on the "OK to run" whitelist until you approve them, one at a time, by trying to run them and entering your Admin Password.

Your Mac could be paved with malware, but as long as they can't be run, there is nothing to fear. There is no need to be running a scanner non-stop looking for patterns. Use MalwareBytes once and then just be Vigilant when your Mac asks for authorization to run something.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.