Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t I move and scale my pictures to fit within the screens boarders for wallpaper?

Why can’t I move and scale my pictures to fit within the screens boarders for wallpaper?

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 11:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 9:59 AM

I have experienced this issue since I upgraded to iPhone 11 and so has my girlfriend and she has 11max pro. I’ve tried with zoom off and everything you mentioned and nothing works in any picture. When I attempt to pinch the picture to fit the screen, it does retain its size. The picture just springs back to its enlarged size. I demonstrated this with an Apple rep screen sharing with me and he didn’t have a solution. What are you referring to regarding reduced motion? Are you saying that has to be turned off when taking pictures or when trying to set wallpaper? I thought that feature was to help with clarity of photos?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 9:59 AM in response to i_rina

I have experienced this issue since I upgraded to iPhone 11 and so has my girlfriend and she has 11max pro. I’ve tried with zoom off and everything you mentioned and nothing works in any picture. When I attempt to pinch the picture to fit the screen, it does retain its size. The picture just springs back to its enlarged size. I demonstrated this with an Apple rep screen sharing with me and he didn’t have a solution. What are you referring to regarding reduced motion? Are you saying that has to be turned off when taking pictures or when trying to set wallpaper? I thought that feature was to help with clarity of photos?

Jul 20, 2020 6:48 PM in response to i_rina

Regarding your first question about reduce motion. The only reason I brought up that topic is you mentioned it in your original message. I wanted to know what relationship it has to my problem.

I cannot move and scale any picture I take to make it fit for wallpaper. Every time I attempt to move and scale, the photo returns to its original oversized view. The move and scale does not work to resize the picture. My previous iPhone worked as it should. If you have a procedure to take a picture that can be moved and scaled(and you have verified it works)please provide me the steps to achieve this and I will try it. I don’t understand why this function will not work. No matter what the subject matter, distance of object, exposure, etc the pictures do not fit the screen for wallpaper. This is completely frustrating especially when an Apple rep could not resolve the problem. I hope that you can resolve this issue for me.

Jul 20, 2020 8:56 AM in response to m.g.simpson59

Hello m.g.simpson59,

Thanks for posting. If we understand correctly, you're having some issues setting wallpaper for your iPhone.

Can you provide more detail about what happens when you try scaling a picture for use as wallpaper? Are you using these steps? Change the wallpaper on your iPhone

"Move the image and choose a display option

Drag to move the image. Or pinch to zoom in and out, so the image fits the screen. 

Some images might not move and scale.

If Perspective Zoom is on, the wallpaper moves as you tilt your screen. To turn it off, tap the Perspective Zoom button. The Perspective Zoom display option isn't available when Reduce Motion is on or when Low Power Mode is on. If your wallpaper is a Live Photo, you can turn on either the Live Photo effect or Perspective Zoom, but not both at the same time.

When you're done adjusting the image, tap Set. Or tap Cancel to start over."

As noted above, it may not be possible to move or scale some images. If the steps above do not work for you, you may want to try a few different images to see if the specific image is the cause.

Take care.

Jul 20, 2020 1:16 PM in response to m.g.simpson59

G'day m.g.simpson59,

We appreciate the reply.

To clarify, the post above is referring to Reduce Motion and Low Power Mode as it relates to Perspective Zoom, so that may not apply to what you're seeing.

Regarding zooming in and out, are you able to zoom in and have it save as your wallpaper? Are you able to move the image left or right and save it as a test? What you describe regarding springing back may be normal if the image is already as zoomed out as it can be.

Best wishes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.