Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro screen issues

Hi! At the beginning of March I started having this issue with my screen. Upon startup the display will be fine but then as I use it the issues will always appear. It starts with lines going horizontally across the top of the screen, after some time those lines will then start flashing, and then after several hours of use the entire screen will display what I would describe as a shadowing of previous things that were on the screen. I'll pop some images below as I'm not sure the worded description will be entirely clear.

Due to Covid I've not been able to take it to Apple to check what might be the issue, don't suppose anyone knows what might be the cause?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 8:24 AM

These quick tests will help you isolate whether that is a screen defect or a graphics subsystem defect.

Connect an external display or TV set. If the artifacts are NOT seen on the external display, that suggests that the built-in display is the problem.

Take an Internal screen shot (NOT a photograph). if the defect IS NOT reflected in the screenshot, that strongly implicates the display itself.

You can arrange for a mail-in depot repair by starting with the "Contact support" link at the top of any forum web page.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2020 8:24 AM in response to NadiaEld

These quick tests will help you isolate whether that is a screen defect or a graphics subsystem defect.

Connect an external display or TV set. If the artifacts are NOT seen on the external display, that suggests that the built-in display is the problem.

Take an Internal screen shot (NOT a photograph). if the defect IS NOT reflected in the screenshot, that strongly implicates the display itself.

You can arrange for a mail-in depot repair by starting with the "Contact support" link at the top of any forum web page.

Jul 16, 2020 8:55 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the quick reply! It doesn't appear on internal screenshots. I decided just to double check with an external screen and that didn't display the issue either.

Though when I switched the screen optimisation from the MacBook Pro to the TV I plugged it in to I did discover the issue also stopped appearing on my MacBook screen as well. But would reappear the second I switched optimisation back to the Mac.

So I'm not entirely sure what that suggests the issue is.

MacBook Pro screen issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.