Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Going to get my first laptop.

I've owned a Mac Pro for 12 years, and it's time to upgrade. I was a bit shocked at the price of the new Mac Pros, so I'm turning to the laptops for the first time. I'm looking at the MacBook Pro 16":

• 2.3GHz 8-core, 32GB memory
  • 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 1 TB SSD

First, I want to make sure I'm spending wisely. I'll be using it for graphics and video work (the Adobe suite). Do those stats look good for that use? I figured that bumping up the graphics and memory one notch from the basic model will increase longevity.

Is it viable to rely on external storage? If I need more that 1 TB down the road, can I simply buy an external SSD?

Lastly, what's some general advice/expectations for a first time laptop/MacBook Pro owner? Any pitfalls or known issues? I will desperately miss the numeric keypad. I understand I'm going to have to buy some Thunderbolt 3/USB adapters.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 4:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 8:43 AM

First -- The specs look very good.

Second -- Yes you can use an external SSD for additional storage and for backup.

Third -- Keep your Mac plugged in when convenient to do so. Your computer and battery will not be damaged or overcharge. Leaving the computer plugged in reduces the rate of accumulation of battery cycles.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2020 8:43 AM in response to CrockAlley1

First -- The specs look very good.

Second -- Yes you can use an external SSD for additional storage and for backup.

Third -- Keep your Mac plugged in when convenient to do so. Your computer and battery will not be damaged or overcharge. Leaving the computer plugged in reduces the rate of accumulation of battery cycles.

Jul 18, 2020 7:09 AM in response to CrockAlley1

While I’m def NOT a graphics expert, I trust others will chime-in ... but I’m sure you’ll be fine.

You WILL need some “flavor” of dongle to convert the MBP’s USB Type-C / Thunderbolt-3 output to the corresponding input for your monitor.

e.g. https://store.apple.com/xc/product/HKQ22ZM/A

(You’ll find that Thunderbolt-3 opens-up a whole new universe of “attached devices” vying for your attention.) <wink>

Jul 18, 2020 8:51 AM in response to CrockAlley1

I have ZERO commercial connection to this outfit; other than having purchased some cables and a couple of dongles.

With that disclaimer, their site provides a pretty good starting-point / primer for Thunderbolt and USB Type-C cables and devices.

FWIW, at least one of their products is currently carried in the “Apple Store” as well.

https://www.caldigit.com/category/learn-more/

Going to get my first laptop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.