Apple Intelligence is now available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac!

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple unveils the new iMac with M4, supercharged by Apple Intelligence and available in fresh colors. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Freezes

I have a 2017 iMac Retina (2017), and have just upgraded to Catalina 10.15.6. I was hoping the upgrade would put an end to a recurring problem I've had with intermittent freezes. Everything on the machine stops dead, and I have no other option but to reboot using the power switch. I've done everything I can think of to remedy the possible problems: unplugged third-party peripherals, run Disk Utility (First Aid), used the Onyx app, have reset both the NVRAM and PRAM, and have even wiped the drive completely clean before reinstalling the system software. A hardware test hasn't revealed any inherent problems either. Is anyone else suffering from the same issue? Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 7:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 8:40 PM

Hi,

It should be examined at Genius Bar(if your nearby retail Apple store is open) or Apple Authorized Service Provider, since it could be possible that your iMac has hardwire related issues.

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

https://locate.apple.com/findlocations

4 replies

Jul 17, 2020 8:20 PM in response to Forest35

Are you saying that even after erasing the drive and reinstalling macOS, the freezes still occur with no other software installed? If so, then you may have a defective RAM module or a failing drive or a motherboard problem or a power supply problem.

The first two may be tested by you. Start by removing all the RAM except for one module. Test for freeze. If there is no freeze, then add one module at a time and repeat the test. When the freeze returns, the last module inserted is defective. It should be replaced.

If the RAM is OK, then get an external drive and connect it to the computer. Erase the drive and install macOS on it. Use Option boot to select the external drive as the boot drive. If the freeze does not return, then the main drive is failing. You will need to take the computer in for service in order to have the drive replaced.

Service will be required to deal with the remaining possibilities.

Jul 18, 2020 4:10 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the reply (and my apologies for the lateness of the acknowledgment). I spoke with Apple Support online, and the general suggestion they made, pretty much tallies with your own suspicions - that the problem is either related to faulty memory modules, or something to do with the Fusion drive configuration. I'm happy for them to investigate the issue further, but to be honest, I'd rather have one of their techs dive into the machine's innards than attempt it myself! For some reason though, there are no indications of any faults whenever I've run any hardware diagnostic testing. Thanks again.

iMac Freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.