Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

YouTube videos will not play-error message

I am wondering if this indicates some problem with Quicktime. (MacBook Pro) Quicktime shows a change made on Jue 9, 2020 that I did not make. Youtube suggests many fixes, but they are not the issue. When I click on the Quicktime icon, I get a blank screen. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Cindy Cunningham

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 4:23 AM

It seems to be a problem only with certain YouTubes that people send me by email

Oh. I was thinking that you were referring to the YouTube website. Apparently not?

• Receiving video files by email can sometimes be a problem, as the attachment size may be more that supported by your ISP, resulting in missing or incomplete files.
  • Receiving video files in other formats than MP4/MOV/M4V may not work with QuickTime Player. You could try a different media player instead, e.g. VLC Media Player.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 4:23 AM in response to Puddleglim

It seems to be a problem only with certain YouTubes that people send me by email

Oh. I was thinking that you were referring to the YouTube website. Apparently not?

• Receiving video files by email can sometimes be a problem, as the attachment size may be more that supported by your ISP, resulting in missing or incomplete files.
  • Receiving video files in other formats than MP4/MOV/M4V may not work with QuickTime Player. You could try a different media player instead, e.g. VLC Media Player.

Jul 18, 2020 10:01 AM in response to Puddleglim

YouTube videos will not play

Why do you link YouTube to QuickTime Player? They are pretty much independent.

error message

What is the exact error message that you get?

Quicktime shows a change made on Jue 9, 2020 that I did not make.

Where do you see this date?

Do you have automatic updates on?

When I click on the Quicktime icon, I get a blank screen. Is this normal?

It is quite normal. Depending on your settings, QuickTime Player may launch with an Open dialog box that has an initial view for iCloud Drive. If you have no QuickTime content saved to iCloud previously, then that initial view will be blank.

To have QuickTime Player’s Open dialog box point to your Mac’s disk instead, change the folder location option in the sidebar of this Open dialog box to a location with QuickTime files on your Mac and open one. QuickTime Player should remember the last used view (folder).

YouTube videos will not play-error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.