Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating to macOS Catalina 10.15.6 - Installation error

I had my macbook pro (2019) running normally on macOS Catalina 10.15.3

I received an update from the system to update my software. And i did, when needed to install that’s when an error message appeared and wasn’t able to access my computer anymore. It just wouldn’t start. Kept having the apple logo appear and than progress bar than shutdown.

i can’t access safe mode.

recovery mode is the only thing i am able to access. Please help! I want to atleast back up my files!!

i also tried reseting PRAM and NVRAM, also SMC. But nothing seems to work.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 8:55 AM

Hi,

If you don't have a Time Machine backup, unfortunately you might lose your files. If you want to restore macOS back, watch these steps:

-Shut down your computer by holding down power button.

-Press the power button, then immediately press and hold Option-Command-R keys until you see a spinning globe.

-If requested, enter your WiFi credentials.

-On recovery menu, go to Reinstall macOS option

-Follow the steps to restore your macOS

This shouldn't erase your files. But if this option won't work, then you have to erase your disk and reinstall macOS again. Erasing disk will delete all your personal files and settings.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 8:55 AM in response to zee_92

Hi,

If you don't have a Time Machine backup, unfortunately you might lose your files. If you want to restore macOS back, watch these steps:

-Shut down your computer by holding down power button.

-Press the power button, then immediately press and hold Option-Command-R keys until you see a spinning globe.

-If requested, enter your WiFi credentials.

-On recovery menu, go to Reinstall macOS option

-Follow the steps to restore your macOS

This shouldn't erase your files. But if this option won't work, then you have to erase your disk and reinstall macOS again. Erasing disk will delete all your personal files and settings.

Updating to macOS Catalina 10.15.6 - Installation error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.