Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete backups, safely

Hi,

I wish to start my backups afresh on my Time Machine by permanently deleting all past backups but without affecting any of the photos that are all stored on my hard drive. If so, can this be done in a few clicks? The TM would basically be empty from today and backups would start from scratch.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 9:59 AM

No starting over, requires erasing the Time Machine backup drive and that would also remove the photos that are currently backed up by Time Machine.

Why do you want to start over with a fresh Time Machine backup?

If you want to have a second backup of your Photos Library or Mac, then it would be best to copy your Photos Library to a second external drive. Or use a second external backup drive for clone backups with something like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 9:59 AM in response to pierre Heisbourg

No starting over, requires erasing the Time Machine backup drive and that would also remove the photos that are currently backed up by Time Machine.

Why do you want to start over with a fresh Time Machine backup?

If you want to have a second backup of your Photos Library or Mac, then it would be best to copy your Photos Library to a second external drive. Or use a second external backup drive for clone backups with something like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

Delete backups, safely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.