Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport time capsule makes intermittent hissing/whirring noise and blinks orange

My airport time capsule makes intermittent hissing/whirring noise and blinks orange while ime machine is backing up my MBP/ There does not seem to be any pattern but the noise and the blinking light go on for 15-30 seconds, stop, then start again in a few minutes or hours. While the orange light is blinking the airport utility flags the Airport red and stops communicating with the network. As soon as the whirring stops, the light on the base station goes solid green, and all is in order.

I am afraid my Time Capsule hard drive may be ageing out. Any ideas?

Airport Time Capsule Model 802.11ac

SN: C86M515GF9H5

MBP (late 2013)

Catalina 10.15.6

Rack Mount Servers - Intel

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 5:28 PM

consumes less juice and is faster.

Let me just clarify.

The spinning mechanical drive will consume less power. At least the laptop 2.5" do.

Faster .. no.. SSD is much much faster drive. But in situation of backup over network there are other factors.

Gigabit speed for ethernet. Processor power in the NAS or Router. Inefficiency of feeding data to USB bus. So the net speed benefit of SSD in this case is zero.

Over network to USB port you have all the above limitations.. first is gigabit ethernet or even worse wireless.. that gives an absolute max speed of around 100MB/s (B is Bytes.. b for bits) In theory it is 1000/8 is 125MB/s but reality is all network protocols have overheads so an average NAS will peak out around 110MB/s but seldom achieve that continuously except with very large files.. with smaller files it takes longer to write the indexes.

With USB there is another limitation so most routers lose a lot of speed cf a NAS which is running disks on SATA bus.

And a router has a processor of limited speed to save power. Most good NAS use a much more powerful processor dedicated to file storage. A router processor has to do router plus file storage duties.

And yes.. spinning drives are mechanical and subject to wear and faults. So they die.. SSD nowadays are very robust but still have wear issues.. not that most home users will ever hit them. Backups are one area large mechanical drives still reign supreme.

A 4TB SSD is very expensive.. most of us cannot afford them.. so you are living in a rarified atmosphere.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 5:28 PM in response to Fgrigorio

consumes less juice and is faster.

Let me just clarify.

The spinning mechanical drive will consume less power. At least the laptop 2.5" do.

Faster .. no.. SSD is much much faster drive. But in situation of backup over network there are other factors.

Gigabit speed for ethernet. Processor power in the NAS or Router. Inefficiency of feeding data to USB bus. So the net speed benefit of SSD in this case is zero.

Over network to USB port you have all the above limitations.. first is gigabit ethernet or even worse wireless.. that gives an absolute max speed of around 100MB/s (B is Bytes.. b for bits) In theory it is 1000/8 is 125MB/s but reality is all network protocols have overheads so an average NAS will peak out around 110MB/s but seldom achieve that continuously except with very large files.. with smaller files it takes longer to write the indexes.

With USB there is another limitation so most routers lose a lot of speed cf a NAS which is running disks on SATA bus.

And a router has a processor of limited speed to save power. Most good NAS use a much more powerful processor dedicated to file storage. A router processor has to do router plus file storage duties.

And yes.. spinning drives are mechanical and subject to wear and faults. So they die.. SSD nowadays are very robust but still have wear issues.. not that most home users will ever hit them. Backups are one area large mechanical drives still reign supreme.

A 4TB SSD is very expensive.. most of us cannot afford them.. so you are living in a rarified atmosphere.

Jul 20, 2020 1:49 PM in response to Fgrigorio

I am afraid my Time Capsule hard drive may be ageing out. Any ideas?

Not likely, at least not likely based on the information in your post.

More likely, the Time Capsule internal electronics are beginning to overheat intermittently and during the back up process as the hard drive draws more current.

The internal fan......which is normally inaudible.......is speeding up to try to cool things down. That is the "hissing/whirring" noise that you are hearing. When the fan has cooled things down a bit, things return to normal until the next time, etc.

Now.....if the Time Capsule is 5-6+ years old......the hard drive is starting to become suspect simply because of age. You would not want to store any data on the Time Capsule drive that you cannot afford to lose. Unfortunately, hard drives almost always fail with no warning. A "clicking and clacking" sound is the normal sound of failed hard drive, if it makes any sound at all.

The bottom line......make a copy of the data on the Time Capsule hard drive if you cannot afford to lose that data. The Time Capsule is probably not going to go much longer before the overheating episodes accelerate.

Jul 20, 2020 2:25 PM in response to Fgrigorio

What’s still a mystery is the blinking amber light and red flag in the Airport Utility while the disk is making a whirring noise

The disk is not making the whirring noise, the internal fan is. Please read my response again above.

The disk is drawing more current from the power supply during the backup, so this is causing the electronics to overheat. The disk is normally not operating at all......except.....when it is backing up.

Next time that you see the Time Capsule blinking amber.......open up AirPort Utility and click on the picture of the Time Capsule......and another smaller window will appear.

In that smaller window, look to see if there are any messages next to Status. If there are, click on the small amber dot there and another message will appear to tell you why the Time Capsule is blinking amber.

Jul 20, 2020 2:29 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you! I've tried doing just that, i.e., clicking on the Airport Time Capsule icon in the Utility, but by the time I click, the amber light turns green and there is no messages in the window that opens up.

I've just decided to connect an USB solid-state drive to the Airport Time Capsule and use it for back up instead of the Time capsule in the Airport unit. This will take the pressure from the router, I hope. This way, I may extend the router's life. What do you think about such a jerry-rigged setup? Or should I just replace the unit with a new router?

I appreciate your answer and your expertise.

Greatefully,

GF

Jul 20, 2020 2:37 PM in response to Fgrigorio

I've just decided to connect an USB solid-state drive to the Airport Time Capsule and use it for back up instead of the Time capsule in the Airport unit.

It's your call, but I would not do this.

When the solid state drive backs up, you will likely have the same problems that you are having now, because the drive will demand more current from the Time Capsule electronics when it backs up.

No harm in trying, I suppose, but this is far from a long term solution.

Jul 20, 2020 2:49 PM in response to Fgrigorio

I don't know if the TP-Link will support Time Machine backups to a drive at its USB port. I do know that the Synology and upper end Asus routers will do this though.

Looking at the specs for the TP-Link........it does mention that Time Machine is supported, so that is encouraging.

This may be one of those times where you have to try it to see if it works.

Jul 20, 2020 2:54 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks! I am happy to go with Synology RT2600ac instead. It's highly recommended by Wirecutter. I feel a little sentimental about the Time Capsule. It's a good-looking piece of equipment and has made my life easy for the last five or so years but I need something a little more reliable now.Hope Synology fits the bill.

I am really grateful for your advice!

With best wishes,

GF

Jul 20, 2020 3:32 PM in response to Fgrigorio

The synology is a good choice and IMHO the best for supporting Time Machine.

TP-Link do not optimise their routers for speed over USB and tend to be much slower than other routers.

I have not yet tested one with Time Machine but I would be very wary.

Just a comment that USB SSD is really a waste.

The best speed you will get over the network is around 50MByte/sec. Even a slow speed spinning drive can easily match that and works better as a backup device. It also believe it or not.. consumes less power.

The USB SSD is very useful if you do local backups.. i.e. plug it into your computer and especially for Carbon Copy Cloner or any other 3rd party backup software as they are using APFS which is not recommended on portable (laptop 2.5") spinning drives. Even a 3.5" fast desktop drive will not work very well.. APFS is optimised for SSD.

Jul 20, 2020 4:54 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks! This is good to know. I had no idea that a spinning drive consumes less juice and is faster. I've had a couple of them die on my unexpectedly, but I've never had a solid-state one fail. Knock on wood! I've been using a 4 TB solid-state drive for occasional Time Machine backups of my laptop — insurance in case the the Time Capsule or my MBP has to be replaced, and I'd prefer to clone the drive. I've just ordered a sinology RT 2600. Hope my Airport Time Capsule doesn't crash before it arrives.

Best,

GF

Jul 20, 2020 5:30 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for clarifying these issues. I started using computers in the late 1970s and ahve a large archive, including video. It's a lot of water under the bridge. 4 TB SSD seemed like a good bet, given its size, and I don't remember it being excessively expensive: around $150. You are right about the speed. Makes no sense to run Time Machine through the home WIFI. But Airport Time Capsule has served me well — as long as the first backup was done via the ethernet port.

In any case, thank you for the info. Duly noted.

Best,

GF

airport time capsule makes intermittent hissing/whirring noise and blinks orange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.