Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule not booting properly or being recognised

My 2nd gen 1TB Time Capsule is having some problems. When I plug it in, all it does is that the lights on the ethernet ports come on. Nothing else. All I can hear from it is a whirring. AirPort Utility doesn't recognise it either and I think the hard drive is dead, not sure. Anyone have any ideas how to fix it?

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 1:20 PM

In situations like this, the hard drive will continue to spin, (and the Ethernet ports will continue to light up), but the failing power supply inside the Time Capsule cannot provide enough current to run the router portion of the Time Capsule.

Apple never designed the Time Capsule for service, so they have not ever provided repair parts for the Time Capsule. Even if a replacement power supply could be located and removed from another Time Capsule, it would not make sense to attempt repairs on the product unless you also were planning to replace the internal hard drive. At 11+ years old, it is already 3-4 years past due to fail.

Frankly, it is remarkable that the Time Capsule has gone as long as it has, since most fail between 5-7 years. Congrats on your very good luck with the product.

Repairing the power supply and replacing the hard drive......if you can find a shop to do this......is going to cost a good deal more than the original cost of the Time Capsule.

If you value the data on the Time Capsule's hard drive, my suggestion would be to open up the Time Capsule and remove the hard drive, then place the hard drive in a caddy or enclosure so you can connect it directly to the USB port on your Mac. If you can "see" the contents on the old hard drive, copy all the data over to another new hard drive.

Take the old Time Capsule to a recycling center, but keep the old hard drive in your desk drawer.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2022 1:20 PM in response to rs09

In situations like this, the hard drive will continue to spin, (and the Ethernet ports will continue to light up), but the failing power supply inside the Time Capsule cannot provide enough current to run the router portion of the Time Capsule.

Apple never designed the Time Capsule for service, so they have not ever provided repair parts for the Time Capsule. Even if a replacement power supply could be located and removed from another Time Capsule, it would not make sense to attempt repairs on the product unless you also were planning to replace the internal hard drive. At 11+ years old, it is already 3-4 years past due to fail.

Frankly, it is remarkable that the Time Capsule has gone as long as it has, since most fail between 5-7 years. Congrats on your very good luck with the product.

Repairing the power supply and replacing the hard drive......if you can find a shop to do this......is going to cost a good deal more than the original cost of the Time Capsule.

If you value the data on the Time Capsule's hard drive, my suggestion would be to open up the Time Capsule and remove the hard drive, then place the hard drive in a caddy or enclosure so you can connect it directly to the USB port on your Mac. If you can "see" the contents on the old hard drive, copy all the data over to another new hard drive.

Take the old Time Capsule to a recycling center, but keep the old hard drive in your desk drawer.

Feb 18, 2022 4:15 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for your reply. To be honest, I’m quite surprised Apple never even made the Time Capsule ready for repairs. This one is already a replacement Apple gave my brother in 2008! He also says this has been broken for at least 5 years. Any advice on how to prevent tearing the base when opening it?

Feb 18, 2022 5:24 AM in response to rs09

Rightly or wrongly, Apple considers the Time Capsule.....and other Apple routers......as sealed units. If the product fails during the warranty or AppleCare period, Apple will replace the product with a refurbished unit. If the product is out of warranty, Apple expects you to buy another.

There are a number of articles on the Internet about opening up the older versions of the Time Capsule. Most of them suggest using a hair dryer on high heat for 15-20 minutes to soften the adhesive on the foam pad. Even then, expect some tearing and some scraping to get at the screws in the bottom plate.

We could provide some links, but the forum moderators will remove them because they don't want users going into the Time Capsule.

Time Capsule not booting properly or being recognised

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.