Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated iMovie no longer compatible with OSX 10.14.3 - how to restore to prior iMovie version

Hi All,

Yesterday I saw what looked to be a simple update to iMovie, so I installed it. I'm currently running Mojave version 10.14.3 on my MacBook.

Today I went to open iMovie only to be told it would not open and that I needed to update to OSX 10.14.6.

I'm not really wanting to update the OS yet. Does anyone know how I can 'reactivate' to the prior version of iMovie before I updated ? I have searched, but can't find the answer.

Thanks, Trudee.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 12:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 6:17 PM

Thanks for your advice.

Here's the process I went through. I got a pop-up window saying I had updates available, so I hit the 'Update' button. This took me to the App Store where I saw what looked like a simple update to iMovie. So I hit the update button and away it went. At no time did I receive any warning message etc that said this version of iMovie was incompatible with my OSX version.

So when I went to open iMovie the next day, I got this issue.

Anyway, I have now followed your instructions and exactly as you said, it has told me that the current version of iMovie is incompatible with my OSX level, and would I like to download the most recent previous compatible version. I hit the download button, and the prior version (the one I had, v10.1.12) has now downloaded and all OK.

Thanks again for your help.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2020 6:17 PM in response to thesurreyfriends

Thanks for your advice.

Here's the process I went through. I got a pop-up window saying I had updates available, so I hit the 'Update' button. This took me to the App Store where I saw what looked like a simple update to iMovie. So I hit the update button and away it went. At no time did I receive any warning message etc that said this version of iMovie was incompatible with my OSX version.

So when I went to open iMovie the next day, I got this issue.

Anyway, I have now followed your instructions and exactly as you said, it has told me that the current version of iMovie is incompatible with my OSX level, and would I like to download the most recent previous compatible version. I hit the download button, and the prior version (the one I had, v10.1.12) has now downloaded and all OK.

Thanks again for your help.

Jul 21, 2020 2:37 AM in response to trudeeando

It is quite unusual for an app to update on an OS that is not compatible.

It would be good to know what procedure you went through to do this, so that others can be aware.

Anyway, to get back to a version of iMovie ( 10) that is compatible with your current OS 10.14.3 try this....

Drag your version of iMovie 10 to the trash but DO NOT empty the trash just yet.

Sign into the App Store and go to your Purchased page, where you should see iMovie listed with the words Download or Install, can't remember exactly the wording, but click on it.

You will be told that you cannot download the most recent version but that you can download a compatible version for your current OS, which hopefully will be the same version that you had before.

If successful you can empty the trash, and if not then drag out iMovie from the trash back to your applications folder.

The very latest version of Mojave is 10.14.6 which you should be able to update to without causing you any problems.

If you want this it can be found here, called Combo Update

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2010?locale=en_GB

Updated iMovie no longer compatible with OSX 10.14.3 - how to restore to prior iMovie version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.