Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple mail imap folders not showing under inbox but in a separate category

Why are my IMAP folders not shown under the Inbox they belong to? Why are they put way below in the sidebar? What's the logic? How to get my IMAP folders to act and behave like it should and works in all other email programs? :(

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 12:05 AM

I got a bit wiser... Apparently, there are 2 kinds of IMAP folders on Mac OS Mail :/

I could move my imap folders back to where they belong (with the Inbox instead of a separate item in the left navigation pane) by going to my provider's webmail (RoundCube in a DirectAdmin environment). THERE I go to Settings - Folders.

Apple Mail's Mailboxes are at the bottom. Select a folder. On the right, you will see options on where that folder belongs. If the Parent Folder is set to "-", it's a pure Apple Mail Mailbox and it will get its own category. If you set the Parent Folder to Inbox, all works as one would expect. No voodoo, no magic. Creating a new Mailbox-IMAP-folder has to be done through the webmail client though... I did not find a way to directly add a real INBOX/IMAP-folder with Apple Mail. BUT when you create them through webmail as INBOX/IMAP-folder, they will show up in Apple Mail.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2020 12:05 AM in response to Devnullius

I got a bit wiser... Apparently, there are 2 kinds of IMAP folders on Mac OS Mail :/

I could move my imap folders back to where they belong (with the Inbox instead of a separate item in the left navigation pane) by going to my provider's webmail (RoundCube in a DirectAdmin environment). THERE I go to Settings - Folders.

Apple Mail's Mailboxes are at the bottom. Select a folder. On the right, you will see options on where that folder belongs. If the Parent Folder is set to "-", it's a pure Apple Mail Mailbox and it will get its own category. If you set the Parent Folder to Inbox, all works as one would expect. No voodoo, no magic. Creating a new Mailbox-IMAP-folder has to be done through the webmail client though... I did not find a way to directly add a real INBOX/IMAP-folder with Apple Mail. BUT when you create them through webmail as INBOX/IMAP-folder, they will show up in Apple Mail.

apple mail imap folders not showing under inbox but in a separate category

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.