Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder alias: how to use on iOS/iPadOS?

Background:

All my files/folders are stored in iCloud Drive.

Problem to be solved:

"File A" is in its file location in iCD. I then right-click it and do "Make Alias" from the menu, which creates an alias file "File A alias" which I move to my Desktop for quick access to opening the original "File A" (which remains stored in its original file location).

However, while this works on macOS, it doesn't open the original file on iOS/iPad OS (instead just opening the alias and doing nothing). This is an issue, as I like the way they work on Mac and wish for them to work similarly on iOS/iPadOS too.

Questions:

1. Is there a way to make such aliases work the same in iOS/iPadOS as they do on macOS?
  2. If not, I've briefly read about Terminal 'softlinks' or 'hardlinks' - are they a cross-OS solution to this?
  3. If not, are there any other methods (apart from Tags) that can be used instead?

Any advise or ideas would be very gracefully received. :-)

TIA.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 9:47 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 22, 2020 10:39 AM in response to SilkySteel

Many thanks for responding.

So does this mean iOS has no alias-type functionality whatsoever?

If true this is really annoying TBH, having non-universal Apple OS options:

- iOS uses favourites quick directory option — that don't sync to or show in macOS Finder.

- while macOS has alias/softlink (symlink)/hardlink options — that don't work in iOS Files app.

Not great is it. :-|

Jul 22, 2020 10:13 AM in response to jimthing

I tested creating both an alias and a symlink (which aren't the same thing) within an iCloud synced directory on macOS, neither works on iOS. It just says "alias" or "symbolic link" when tapping on the file on iOS, instead of following the link like it does on macOS. Symlink is short for symbolic link and means the same thing as "soft link". Hard links only work within the same filesystem within the same device, they aren't suitable for cloud syncing.

One solution is to add the directory of the file to Favorites in Files instead of linking to the file.

Finder alias: how to use on iOS/iPadOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.