Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop question

We have an older Apple desktop, but need to upgrade. Our primary users are now are kids with virtual school. They are 6 and 3. My wife is the other user and she primarily uses internet and stores a lot pictures. I'm looking for advice on the best option for our family. Thank you

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 11:29 AM

I would recommend a 27" iMac with 8 GB of memory (to be upgraded by you to 16GB for less than ½ of what Apple charges via MacSales.com or Crucial.com) and the largest SSD drive your budget can afford, 1TB would be fine and last you a long time.

Since the new Mac will have Catalina on it many of the apps which are 32 bit on your old Mac will not work with Catalina. Download and run the free app GO64 to find out which of those apps will have to be upgraded or replaced with an alternative.

I run 27" iMac with 16GB of RAM and have no problems with memory with large Photos libraries (57,000+ photos). I've edited large (350mb) images and have had no problems with that much memory.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2020 11:29 AM in response to DellwoodAndy

I would recommend a 27" iMac with 8 GB of memory (to be upgraded by you to 16GB for less than ½ of what Apple charges via MacSales.com or Crucial.com) and the largest SSD drive your budget can afford, 1TB would be fine and last you a long time.

Since the new Mac will have Catalina on it many of the apps which are 32 bit on your old Mac will not work with Catalina. Download and run the free app GO64 to find out which of those apps will have to be upgraded or replaced with an alternative.

I run 27" iMac with 16GB of RAM and have no problems with memory with large Photos libraries (57,000+ photos). I've edited large (350mb) images and have had no problems with that much memory.

Jul 23, 2020 8:58 AM in response to DellwoodAndy

Well about the best advice you are going to get is on the hardware:

• 21.5" iMac buy one with a minimum of 16GB of RAM (more is better!!!!) and the largest SSD you can afford. RAM is not user upgradeable on 21.5" iMac and the HD and Fusion drives are really not good.

• 27" buy one with the base 8GB of RAM and upgrade to a total of 40 GB RAM (add 2 x 16 GB DIMMS to the empty slots) using either Crucial.com or Macsales.com RAM . Also buy the largest SSD you can afford.

Desktop question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.