Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie & capitan

I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6 on a MacBook Air. When I try to start iMovie 10.0.1, I get a message that it is not compatible with El Capitan and needs an update.

But when I click UPDATE, the thing just spins and goes nowhere. When I try to find a later version of iMovie, it doesn't seem to exist.

In the course of this, I did two other updates so, what the heck, I restarted the Mac. Still no dice. Same message that iMovie 10.0.1 is not compatible and needs an update.

Help?

Many thanks,

Jeanne

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 3:16 AM

Access to purchases in App Store is slightly different in El Capitan to newer OSs.

Go to App Store and at the top of the page you will see a a Tag called Purchased.

Click on this and you will be asked to sign in with your Apple ID.

After signing in click again on this Purchased tag.

Now you should see your purchases as described by Rich.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2020 3:16 AM in response to JeanneLP

Access to purchases in App Store is slightly different in El Capitan to newer OSs.

Go to App Store and at the top of the page you will see a a Tag called Purchased.

Click on this and you will be asked to sign in with your Apple ID.

After signing in click again on this Purchased tag.

Now you should see your purchases as described by Rich.

Jul 23, 2020 9:28 AM in response to JeanneLP

Hi, JeanneLP

Try the below procedure to obtain the highest version of iMovie that El Capitan can run. That should be iMovie 10.1.6.

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

imovie & capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.