Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update to iMovie 9.0.9

I have an early 2008 iMac running OS X El Capitan (10.11.6).

I have been trying to update iMovie9 (version 1073) to the 9.0.9 version. However, when I try to install the update I get a message that reads: "iMovie 9.0 or later is required to install this update". But iMovie9 is installed and running.

I have looked for a solution, but to no avail.

Any help would be most welcome.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 10:38 AM

It may be because the iMovie 9 app has been discontinued. As I understand it, there is no conventioinal way to update/upgrade iMovie 9.

On the other hand, if iMovie 9 is installed and running smoothly there probably isn't much benefit in updating to iMovie 9.0.9. The only reason that you would need 9.0.9 is to be able to upgrade to iMovie 10 that no longer can be done.

-- Rich

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2022 10:38 AM in response to danmartinnt

It may be because the iMovie 9 app has been discontinued. As I understand it, there is no conventioinal way to update/upgrade iMovie 9.

On the other hand, if iMovie 9 is installed and running smoothly there probably isn't much benefit in updating to iMovie 9.0.9. The only reason that you would need 9.0.9 is to be able to upgrade to iMovie 10 that no longer can be done.

-- Rich

Mar 14, 2022 1:50 PM in response to danmartinnt

The info tab shows that your iMovie is called iMovie9.

Is it possible that you have changed the name from iMovie to iMovie9.

I am pretty sure that it would have been called just iMovie when originally installed.

This might be the reason that the Update cannot see that you already have iMovie because

you have " iMovie9" not "iMovie".

As Rich has said " if it ain't broke then don't fix it.

But if you did want to pursue trying to update to 9.0.9 then you could try the following.

First you would want to duplicate the application without changing any names and place in a separate folder on the desktop for safe keeping.To duplicate ctrl click on the application and select duplicate

Take the original ( not the duplicate) iMovie9 and change name to iMovie.

Now try the update procedure using the downloaded 9.0.9 update.

If this works you will have 9.0.9

If it does not work you will still have version 9.0 in the folder on your desktop, which you can place in your Applications folder.

If you want to be absolutely sure of not loosing your current iMovie version then as well as having a duplicate, ctrl click again on the original application and select Compress which will give you a zipped copy of the application.

Cannot update to iMovie 9.0.9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.