Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What adapter do I need to connect my LG 5K ultrafine display to a Mac Pro 2013?

I have a 2013 Mac Pro and an LG 5K ultrafine 27" display.

The LG display only has thunderbolt 3 connections, and the Mac Pro does not have thunderbolt 3/ usb-c.

I would like to connect the display to the Mac Pro.

What is the best setup for this?

Will I be able to get native 5K resolution with an adapter?

Mac Pro

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 11:48 AM

For ThunderBolt displays ONLY, you can use the Apple ThunderBolt-3 <--> ThunderBolt-2 adapter. For your case, you would need to add a genuine ThunderBolt-2 cable on the computer end.

NB>> This adapter does not support any other display protocols (even with adapters) than genuine ThunderBolt displays, and does not provide Thunderbolt power in either direction.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2020 11:48 AM in response to tyler82

For ThunderBolt displays ONLY, you can use the Apple ThunderBolt-3 <--> ThunderBolt-2 adapter. For your case, you would need to add a genuine ThunderBolt-2 cable on the computer end.

NB>> This adapter does not support any other display protocols (even with adapters) than genuine ThunderBolt displays, and does not provide Thunderbolt power in either direction.

What adapter do I need to connect my LG 5K ultrafine display to a Mac Pro 2013?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.