Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a LG UltraFine 4K Display with a MacBook Pro late 2012

I would like to buy a display for my MacBook Pro late 2012. I have been looking on the web and it seems the LG UltraFine 4K could be a good option even if my MacBook Pro does not support 4K.

My MacBook has two Thunderbolt 1 and two USB 3 and the screen seems only have entries for Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C, so I wonder if it would work still.

May I connect the Thunderbolt 3 screen to the Thunderbolts 1 of my MacBook?

Would anyone know if this may work?

Thank you all

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 4:12 PM

Apple indicates adapter-based compatibility with Macs having a Thunderbolt 2 port:

Use the 23.7-inch LG UltraFine 4K Display with your Mac or iPad Pro - Apple Support

TB2 and TB1 ports are physically the same, and the TB3-to-2 adapter works with TB1 as well, so it should work. But if you buy it, get it from somewhere with an easy return policy. Or if you’re near an Apple Store, bring your Mac in to try it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2020 4:12 PM in response to andreu75

Apple indicates adapter-based compatibility with Macs having a Thunderbolt 2 port:

Use the 23.7-inch LG UltraFine 4K Display with your Mac or iPad Pro - Apple Support

TB2 and TB1 ports are physically the same, and the TB3-to-2 adapter works with TB1 as well, so it should work. But if you buy it, get it from somewhere with an easy return policy. Or if you’re near an Apple Store, bring your Mac in to try it.

Using a LG UltraFine 4K Display with a MacBook Pro late 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.