You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect Logi Mx keys to my Macbook Pro via bluetooth

I put my keyboard in pairing mode and then open my bluetooth preferences and click the 'pair' button. I get the 6 digit code, enter it and then click 'enter' on my keyboard, and then click the 'pair' button. It briefly says connected in the bluetooth preferences but then changes to not connected.

I also have the MX Master 2S mouse which I had connected via bluetooth at one point, but haven't been able to get it to re-connect once I removed all my remembered devices while troubleshooting the keyboard issue.

I just use the usb dongle at the moment to use the keyboard and mouse but it's always cutting in and out, hoping to connect via bluetooth to improve the workflow.

any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 4:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 1:21 PM

Hi there,

I had the same problem, after restarting my Mac my Keyboard was firstly acting weird.

After playing around with the settings of the MX Keys and trying out a little, I ended up pressing the "fn key" right below the 1,2,3 button. Suddenly nothing really worked anymore, bottons 2 & 3 were triggering display brightness and other weird stuff.

Eventually I wen into my settings and removed the MX keys, trying to fix it by "just reconnecting it".

Doing so I ended up not seeing the device anymore at all – It seemed like my keyboard did not exist anymore and also the press and hold of the "1" button did not trigger a reconnection of the keyboard anymore.

Long story short, here is what somehow helped me and don't ask how I got there or which of the steps could also be left out:

1. Reset the Bluetooth Module on Mac (holding shift + option and clicking on the bluetooth icon in the top bar > Debug > Reset the bluetooth module)
  2. Restart your computer
  3. Open Bluetooth Settings to search for devices
  4. IMPORTANT: As I was trying to reconnect my keyboard by pressing + holding the "1" button, still did not work or make the keyboard disappear: I had to hit the "fn" button right below it and then the "1" button and press + hold it for 3 seconds. (only this made the LED blink rapidly and eventually the keyboard appeared back as a new bluetooth device)
  5. Follow the general steps & do not use the num pad on the right to enter the connection code

Hope this is helpful to someone else who's playing around too much in the settings

I think the issue here is, that there is somewhat of a "fn-lock-mode" which is not visible through any LED or software element.

Hence, nobody realises it is actually active and preventing certain buttons to work the way they should.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 28, 2020 1:21 PM in response to bud2430

Hi there,

I had the same problem, after restarting my Mac my Keyboard was firstly acting weird.

After playing around with the settings of the MX Keys and trying out a little, I ended up pressing the "fn key" right below the 1,2,3 button. Suddenly nothing really worked anymore, bottons 2 & 3 were triggering display brightness and other weird stuff.

Eventually I wen into my settings and removed the MX keys, trying to fix it by "just reconnecting it".

Doing so I ended up not seeing the device anymore at all – It seemed like my keyboard did not exist anymore and also the press and hold of the "1" button did not trigger a reconnection of the keyboard anymore.

Long story short, here is what somehow helped me and don't ask how I got there or which of the steps could also be left out:

1. Reset the Bluetooth Module on Mac (holding shift + option and clicking on the bluetooth icon in the top bar > Debug > Reset the bluetooth module)
  2. Restart your computer
  3. Open Bluetooth Settings to search for devices
  4. IMPORTANT: As I was trying to reconnect my keyboard by pressing + holding the "1" button, still did not work or make the keyboard disappear: I had to hit the "fn" button right below it and then the "1" button and press + hold it for 3 seconds. (only this made the LED blink rapidly and eventually the keyboard appeared back as a new bluetooth device)
  5. Follow the general steps & do not use the num pad on the right to enter the connection code

Hope this is helpful to someone else who's playing around too much in the settings

I think the issue here is, that there is somewhat of a "fn-lock-mode" which is not visible through any LED or software element.

Hence, nobody realises it is actually active and preventing certain buttons to work the way they should.

Sep 9, 2020 7:39 PM in response to mla237

I have the MX Keys and MX Master 3 mouse. When i bought the devices they were able to connect without any issue but I would have them disconnect from bluetooth for 15-20 seconds every now and then. This was really annoying and I followed directions to remove corrupted bluetooth files.

When I tried to repair the devices, The mouse connected but the Keyboard was such a pain to connect. What worked for me after trying everything (resetting bluetooth module, removing all devices etc.) was to hold the button under the mouse which switches devices for a while when the Macbook was searching for bluetooth devices.

Similarly holding the device connection button on the keyboard (the 1, 2, 3) buttons used to connect to devices. Hold down 1 for a while when the Macbook is searching for devices.

Hope this helps. Didn't realize it was a simple press and hold after I had exhausted other options and searched forums for this.

Aug 13, 2020 3:11 PM in response to bud2430

I have not been able to connect this Logi MX Keys at all to my iMac (Catalina). I power on keyboard, device 1 key blinks, but I get no codes. At first I thought it might be appearing behind other windows, but even so no codes appear. It works fine with the dongle but I bought it for bluetooth. Thanks to anyone that can help. m

Can't connect Logi Mx keys to my Macbook Pro via bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.