Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete iCloud account in Mail?

I have an iCloud email account in my Apple Mail client.  I never put it there to my knowledge, it is not Enabled and is Offline], but it has the email address that I set up for my AppleID [I’ll call it abc@rr.com], not an iCloud address.  Can I delete that iCloud account from Mail since Mail apparently sees that iCloud / IMAP account and does not allow me to change the abc@rr.com account in Mail from the current POP, delete it and set up as IMAP?   Apparently, Mail sees that iCloud IMAP account with abc@rr.com address and tells me that the account I want to set up as abc@rr.com / IMAP is already there.  The Mail setup process will not even ask me POP or IMAP, but just sets up abc@rr.com as POP [again].  I found a work around that forces Mail to ask, but then I am told the account already exists or the setup process freezes at the very end.

It took me a while to figure all of this out, and I'm guessing I just delete the iCloud account out of Mail. I do not want to set up yet another mail account by setting up the iCloud account as an email account and link that to my AppleID.  But I don’t want to mess up my AppleID account and just want to leave that set up with abc@rr.com.

Help appreciated with thanks.

Late 2009 iMac; OS 10.13.6

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 5:36 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Jul 27, 2020 2:19 PM in response to David Tomer

Greetings David Tomer,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like you want to know how to delete an email account in the Mail app. We would recommend you use this article for more information. We'd like to specifically call out this section/information.

"When you remove an email account from Mail, the account’s messages are deleted and no longer available on your Mac. Copies of messages remain on the account’s mail server and are still available (from webmail, for example).

Important: If you’re unsure whether messages you want to keep are still on the mail server, move or copy them to a mailbox stored on your Mac (the mailbox appears in the On My Mac section in the Mail sidebar) before you delete the account in Mail.

1. In the Mail app  on your Mac, choose Mail > Preferences, then click Accounts.
  2. Select an account, then click the Remove button .
  3. Note: If the account is used by other apps on your Mac, you’re asked to remove the account in Internet Accounts System Preferences. Click the button to open Internet Accounts, then deselect the Mail checkbox for the account. To stop using the account in all apps, make sure the account is selected, then click the Remove button ."

Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Take care.

Jul 30, 2020 8:09 AM in response to David Tomer

If the mail address say example1@gmail.com is set up as POP account it could be only enabled or disabled in web account .

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828

However you can turn the box of IMAP account in web https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229

And save the changes , so in mail application you don't need to set up mail account ( in system preferences > internet accounts ) , it is already created and can't be created for the second time .

And about your query -

It took me a while to figure all of this out, and I'm guessing I just delete the iCloud account out of Mail.

If you mean can sign out this Apple ID from system preferences > iCloud and then sign in with new Apple ID and password say example2@yahoo.com or what ever mail id you had , the previous data will be still saved on iCloud server / web server - what ever mail services is used if all the applications are synced with iCloud https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207689

Or you mean to delete the mail account from system preferences > internet account it can be configured ( it depends the mail account is set up with secondary authentication for that you need iCloud Keychain verification code that must be in records before you delete it , if it was set with 2FA than the trusted number must be verified in the account .

However steps are lengthy and it can be once again configured , but need all credentials before deleting them .

Aug 18, 2020 7:51 AM in response to David Tomer

It is not enabled and is offline, but apparently prevents me from changing the ISP account with that email address as IMAP.

Why it is offline ? see the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mail/mlhlp1032/mac

Both accounts show up in Internet Accounts, and the iCloud account does NOT have Mail checked in Internet Accounts. -- in system preferences > iCloud why the box is kept is unchecked , even there are no mails on iCloud server , by default this is not be disturbed .

You have to take permissions for switching from internet service provider if you are leaving pop accounts and converting into IMAP account , the safest way is always save the complete mail data on V7 folder for Mac OS catalina 10.15.6 ( the folder name will be changed and reduced as V6 to V5 .........accordingly with previous versions ) .

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-13051

Aug 21, 2020 9:26 AM in response to David Tomer

I am increasingly convinced that the simplest solution is to finish the setup of an iCloud email account by changing the AppleID address to an iCloud address, thereby eliminating the abc@rr.com from that iCloud account in Mail. I would reserve the iCloud email account for Apple use.

See the article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202667

You can add a new mail address say example2@gmail.com it will act as primary Apple ID address .

Deleting Apple ID account from server is done in very rare circumstances , the pop accounts if enabled in web accounts can be switched to IMAP accounts .

Jul 28, 2020 6:17 AM in response to chuck_3rd

chuck_3rd,

My problem is not HOW to delete an account in Mail [I know how and have done it], but CAN I delete what appears to be a duplicate account in mail without causing other problems.

My Mail has 2 accounts with the same email address, one is POP and the other is IMAP. The POP account is with my ISP with the address abc@rr.com, and has been used in Mail for years. When iCloud & AppleID came along, I set up my AppleID account with abc@rr.com as the email address. That apparently was automatically used for iCloud, too. And Mail apparently automatically set up an email account in Mail with that same email address, and as an IMAP account?? It is not enabled and is offline, but apparently prevents me from changing the ISP account with that email address as IMAP. But Mail apparently lets the two similar [same email address] but not identical email accounts [POP vs IMAP] co-exist on Mail. I don't know what would happen if I made the IMAP version enabled and active??

There is nothing in the iCloud mail account. Both accounts show up in Internet Accounts, and the iCloud account does NOT have Mail checked in Internet Accounts. It is apparent to me that this conflict in Mail is at the root of my issue. My key question is Can I delete the iCloud account in Mail WITHOUT messing up my AppleID and iCloud account elsewhere?

It is frustrating to me that Apple let me set up my AppleID/iCloud account with an existing email address, only to [apparently] create a conflict situation within Mail.

I do appreciate your response to this [complicated?] issue.

Jul 28, 2020 9:58 AM in response to David Tomer

Hey David Tomer,

Thanks for the update. When you created an Apple ID using that email address it creates a different email address using iCloud. iCloud is an IMAP account.

If you have a previous email account from a different provider, which is POP, removing the iCloud account from Mail would not affect the separate POP account.

If you do not use the iCloud account, and there is nothing in the account, you can remove it from the Mac. It will not delete the Apple ID iCloud IMAP account by only removing it from the Mail app.

Take care.

Jul 29, 2020 10:56 AM in response to Leanne_68

Leanne_68,

Thanks; you've satisfied me that I can just delete the iCloud account listed in Mail and not mess up my Apple ID account.

But I am still puzzled: The iCloud mail account that shows up in Mail, that you stated was set up when I set up my Apple ID which "create[d] a different email address using iCloud", shows the abc@rr.com address as the email address when I look under that account in Mail??? It does not show an iCloud address. And it doesn't show any info about what Server it would be using. And if I go to System Preferences/Internet Accounts/iCloud, the Details for that account show abc@rr.com as the address and iCloud as the description. If I click to activate Mail in Internet Accounts/iCloud [recall it is NOT activated], a box comes up to have me name an account using iCloud.com. This seems to me to be a very confusing system among the Apple ID, iCloud account and iCloud email account.

So thanks again.

Aug 18, 2020 7:18 AM in response to tygb

This problem is still with me!

I have attempted to understand the replies, but either am not understanding them [sorry - I know enough to be dangerous!] or they are not working. I've copied the description of the problem below, but here are my latest observations.

When I try to delete the iCloud account from Mail, it says I have to delete it from Internet Accounts. I go there; that account does NOT have Mail selected there. I can see that the "account" is used in lots of other places - it is - so I apparently don't want to delete it as an "account". The common email address is, of course, shown there for both accounts. Isn't there something I can do to get that account out of Mail without disturbing all the other places? Or is my best solution to just go ahead and set up a new iCloud email account and change the email address for my AppleID account to that iCloud address? If that, what is the best, safest process to do that?

M-A-N-Y thanks.

SUMMARY OF SITUATION:

My problem is not HOW to delete an account in Mail [I know how and have done it], but CAN I delete what appears to be a duplicate account in mail without causing other problems.

My Mail has 2 accounts with the same email address, one is POP and the other is IMAP. The POP account is with my ISP with the address abc@rr.com, and has been used in Mail for years. When iCloud & AppleID came along, I set up my AppleID account with abc@rr.com as the email address. That apparently was automatically used for iCloud, too. And Mail apparently automatically set up an email account in Mail with that same email address, and as an IMAP account?? It is not enabled and is offline, but apparently prevents me from changing the ISP account with that email address as IMAP. But Mail apparently lets the two similar [same email address] but not identical email accounts [POP vs IMAP] co-exist on Mail. I don't know what would happen if I made the IMAP version enabled and active??

There is nothing in the iCloud mail account. Both accounts show up in Internet Accounts, and the iCloud account does NOT have Mail checked in Internet Accounts. It is apparent to me that this conflict in Mail is at the root of my issue. My key question is Can I delete the iCloud account in Mail WITHOUT messing up my AppleID and iCloud account elsewhere?

Aug 18, 2020 8:30 AM in response to tygb

The iCloud account that shows up in Mail was never set up - by me - as an email account. It is offline because it really isn't an email account. It carries the email address in question only because that is the 3rd party email account used when I set up AppleID. In fact, it cannot be "Enabled" in Mail - the "Enable this account" checkbox won't stay checked. And when I go to Internet Accounts and check the box for Mail, I get a box to "Choose an @iCloud.com email address". The problem apparently is because this iCloud "account" in Mail is listed with the email address of another mail account - that was used for AppleID. And Mail sees it as an email account - but it isn't.

And the problem is not with my ISP. I checked with them and they said they didn't need to take any action to make the POP to IMAP swap. In fact, I changed another account in Mail, with a different email address than the one in question here, from POP to IMAP without any problems. I did that by deleting the account in Mail [after saving messages offline] and adding it back.

Aug 20, 2020 5:21 PM in response to tygb

tygb,

Thank you for responding to my post; I do appreciate your interest. But I don't understand your suggestion.

I canNOT delete my abc@rr.com account from the server because it is a working, primary email address for me. It is working fine, even now as a POP account in Apple Mail. The problem arises when I attempt to change the account from POP to IMAP in Mail [so I can use it on my iPhone]. And I believe it is because of the iCloud "account" that MacOS set up in Internet Accounts & Mail when I established an AppleID using abc.rr.com as the username. If you meant to delete the iCloud account from its "server", I can't do that as it isn't really an iCloud email account [never set up as such], and I can't delete that account because I want the AppleID features.

I am increasingly convinced that the simplest solution is to finish the setup of an iCloud email account by changing the AppleID address to an iCloud address, thereby eliminating the abc@rr.com from that iCloud account in Mail. I would reserve the iCloud email account for Apple use.

Delete iCloud account in Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.