Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Keyboard not Working After Hard Drive and Memory Upgrade

Hi Everyone,

I just upgraded the memory and hard drive on a 2017, 21.5" Screen, iMac (Model Identifier: iMac18,2). Upgraded to 32GB of Memory and to a 480GB SSD Drive. Both are from OWC. I have the original drive connected to the computer as I intend to do a fresh install of the OS on the new drive (using old drive's recovery partition) and then transfer files from the old drive. Because (something) like that is what OCW advices here.

I can boot into Recovery mode using Command + R, so I know bluetooth is working and the keyboard is connected, but the computer won't recognize the mouse. The cursor just stays on the upper left corner and I can't move it to make a selection on the 4-option Recovert screen (can't use the muse to click "Continue"). I followed advice on this post and unplugged waited, replugged and turned on the computer hoping to reset the system management controller, but that didn't help.

I appreciate any leads and advice anyone can share on what to try. Thank you!

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 9:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 5:11 AM

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. After plugging the magic mouse to the iMac using a Lighting to USB cable, the computer started recognizing the mouse. I then unplugged it and kept using it via bluetooth. Not sure why this worked nor why bluetooth was working for the keyboard and not the mouse to begin with, but I'm happy the solution was this simple (and free).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2020 5:11 AM in response to My_Name_Was_Taken

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. After plugging the magic mouse to the iMac using a Lighting to USB cable, the computer started recognizing the mouse. I then unplugged it and kept using it via bluetooth. Not sure why this worked nor why bluetooth was working for the keyboard and not the mouse to begin with, but I'm happy the solution was this simple (and free).

Jul 23, 2020 10:02 PM in response to My_Name_Was_Taken

The following will require any USB keyboard an mouse. If you don’t have them, borrow or buy them, they are inexpensive!

1.     Connect the USB keyboard and mouse to the computer.

2.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

3.     Un-pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

4.     Turn off Bluetooth

5.     Restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

6.     Restart the computer normally.

7.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

8.     Turn on Bluetooth

9.     Re-Pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

10.  Unplug the USB keyboard and mouse and begin testing the wireless devices again. 

iMac Keyboard not Working After Hard Drive and Memory Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.