Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems with sorting photos into those that are not in albums

I am using the suggestion found here to create a smart album to sort photos that have not been otherwise placed in albums.

conditions : album- is not-any

This works for albums but not shared albums, which is where a number of my photos reside. Is there a solutionI haven't found?

thanks Selina

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 3:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 4:59 AM

The shared albums are shown in your Photos Library but are not a part of of the photo library. The shared albums are holding separate, downsized copies of your photos and are not standard albums.

I would not use the shared albums to store your photos. They are just used for sharing and not meant for storing your photos. The quality of the photos will be reduced to 2048 pixels at the longest edge, the titles, filename, locations may be stripped from the photos, you cannot sort the photos in the shared albums. To be able to use the "Album is not Any" rule to organise the photos in your albums, import the photos from the smart albums into your Photos Library (unless you still have the originals in your Photos Library) and organise them in standard albums.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2020 4:59 AM in response to SELINA O'BRIEN

The shared albums are shown in your Photos Library but are not a part of of the photo library. The shared albums are holding separate, downsized copies of your photos and are not standard albums.

I would not use the shared albums to store your photos. They are just used for sharing and not meant for storing your photos. The quality of the photos will be reduced to 2048 pixels at the longest edge, the titles, filename, locations may be stripped from the photos, you cannot sort the photos in the shared albums. To be able to use the "Album is not Any" rule to organise the photos in your albums, import the photos from the smart albums into your Photos Library (unless you still have the originals in your Photos Library) and organise them in standard albums.

problems with sorting photos into those that are not in albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.