Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I Need to Partition my Mac Hard Drive

I am switching from Windows to Mac.

I am getting a new MacBook Pro. Do I Need to Partition my Mac Hard Drive like we do in Windows machines?

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 5:37 PM

The system date and many other parameters are stored in the battery-backed parameter RAM.

I think you will find that when you use a Mac, "It just works."

That is especially true when it comes to fighting Viruses. Apple understands the best way to do that, and they are not holding out on you.

Everything you need is already in the box, save ONE item -- A drive onto which to place your Backup. The software to do the backups is built into MacOS.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2020 5:37 PM in response to leninChris

The system date and many other parameters are stored in the battery-backed parameter RAM.

I think you will find that when you use a Mac, "It just works."

That is especially true when it comes to fighting Viruses. Apple understands the best way to do that, and they are not holding out on you.

Everything you need is already in the box, save ONE item -- A drive onto which to place your Backup. The software to do the backups is built into MacOS.

Jul 24, 2020 11:43 AM in response to leninChris

Good morning,

The most common reason to partition a Mac drive is to install Windows using Boot Camp. You must use Boot Camp Assistant (BCA) to do this partitioning to get proper results. The formatting methods BCA uses protect the Recovery partition.

That Recovery partition is preinstalled. This allows troubleshooting, testing and even reinstalling the OS without having to rely on optical disks that no seems to be able to find when they need them. It should not be messed with.

In attempting to partition, it is possible to lose the important Recovery partition. My advice is don't partition. I've not needed to partition a Mac drive since the PowerPC Macs were the hot items prior to 2006.

On another topic appropos to switching: When you get your new Mac, don't install ANY anti-virus or cleaning apps. They will interfere with the protection you paid Apple a lot of money to build in to the operating system. A Mac is like a cat--it cleans itself. Only install that goopware if you want your computer to run like it was 1995.

Oh, and welcome to the family!

A

Do I Need to Partition my Mac Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.