Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell U3419W display issues w/ Macbook Pro 2020

I am running a new Dell U3419W monitor with a 2020 Macbook Pro. I have the latest firmware (MB3106) and drivers. When plugging in the USB type C cable provided with the monitor, I receive either no display on the monitor or a flickering display. The error message is "No usb type c signal detected from device".

The USB type C cable charges my laptop just fine, and my Macbook recognizes the monitor in system preferences. Not sure if I need a different cable to be compatible with a Macbook, or what the issue is.

If anyone knows how I could troubleshoot the display issue, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 12:52 PM

<<The USB type C cable charges my laptop just fine, and my Macbook recognizes the monitor in system preferences. Not sure if I need a different cable to be compatible with a Macbook, or what the issue is.>>

The cable that came with your computer has USB-C connectors at each end, but is a Charge-ONLY cable. Its only data pathways are suitable for connecting a keyboard, nothing faster.

The USB-C cable packed with the display should work fine, but these are sometimes "lowest bidder" cables, and do not always work properly.

You should plug in the cable at the Mac-end LAST, OR use

System preferences > Displays ...

... hold the Option key, and click on the (Detect Displays) button that appears

You could also buy a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter (rated for "4K") and use a regular DisplayPort cable.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2020 12:52 PM in response to PowderedSauce

<<The USB type C cable charges my laptop just fine, and my Macbook recognizes the monitor in system preferences. Not sure if I need a different cable to be compatible with a Macbook, or what the issue is.>>

The cable that came with your computer has USB-C connectors at each end, but is a Charge-ONLY cable. Its only data pathways are suitable for connecting a keyboard, nothing faster.

The USB-C cable packed with the display should work fine, but these are sometimes "lowest bidder" cables, and do not always work properly.

You should plug in the cable at the Mac-end LAST, OR use

System preferences > Displays ...

... hold the Option key, and click on the (Detect Displays) button that appears

You could also buy a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter (rated for "4K") and use a regular DisplayPort cable.

Dell U3419W display issues w/ Macbook Pro 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.