Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The apps on my new MacBook Pro won't update because it says that I purchased them with a different Apple ID. How do I fix this issue?

The apps on my new MacBook Pro won't update because it says that I purchased them with a different Apple ID, but I've used the always used the same ID. How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 1:28 PM

If the applications that need updating are Apple applications that came with the computer, try going to the App Store Purchases tab or click on your profile and then go to Purchases to see if there is an option to accept the applications with your Apple ID. If that doesn't work, you can delete the applications and download them with your Apple ID. The applications are free. You may have to sign out of the App Store, restart the computer, and sign back in to download new copies.

Purchase History Review

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2020 1:28 PM in response to BrianKauth

If the applications that need updating are Apple applications that came with the computer, try going to the App Store Purchases tab or click on your profile and then go to Purchases to see if there is an option to accept the applications with your Apple ID. If that doesn't work, you can delete the applications and download them with your Apple ID. The applications are free. You may have to sign out of the App Store, restart the computer, and sign back in to download new copies.

Purchase History Review

Jul 25, 2020 6:33 PM in response to saolgead15

User password or Apple ID password?

User

User Password Reset.   

User Password Reset (2).         

User Password Reset – Apple ID.    

Apple ID

If you know the password.

Apple ID Password Change.      

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support     I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

If you forgot the password.

Enter the Apple (iCloud) ID and click Forgot Password.

Apple ID - Manage            

Apple ID – Forgot Password            

Jul 25, 2020 1:41 PM in response to BrianKauth

BrianKauth:

The process Eric Root describes is called "Adoption".

I had to do that a few months ago with my new Mac mini.

I don't remember exactly where, within the App Store, I saw it, but, first, I had to "force" the App Store to let me login (the Store menu -> View My Account).

I don't recall whether it was under my account, or if I went under Update, but I was given a message to the effect that three application needed to be adopted, before they could be updated.

It's even possible that I had to visit the application pages, where the "Get" button was shown as "Adopt", or some such.

Please get back with us if you continue to have trouble finding out how to Adopt those apps.

Jul 25, 2020 3:23 PM in response to BrianKauth

The hard drive on my MacBook Pro went out. I had it replaced. I attempted to use the email address that I had used before the drive went out. I could not use it and was told that it was being used by another account. I'm sure that was my previous account.

I need to change the password on the repaired Macbook pro. So far, I have been unsuccessful in doing so. Any help would be appreciated.

The apps on my new MacBook Pro won't update because it says that I purchased them with a different Apple ID. How do I fix this issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.