Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

H1 Chip Headphones (AirPods Pro and PowerBeats Pro) Don't work with Some Approved Macs

Several months ago I got a pair of PowerBeats Pro. They immediately paired with my iPhone but I couldn't get them to stay paired to either on of my Macs; MacBook Pro (Retina 15-inch, Mid 2014) and iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015). Both were listed as being supported back to 2012. It would switch from connected to not connected every 5-10 seconds, never fully connecting. After trying two different pairs and spending over an hour on the phone with Apple support (which was excellent) trying everything, I gave up and returned them.

I just got a pair of AirPods Pro knowing that they had the same H1 chip as the PowerBeats Pro but hoping it would be different. They instantly connected to my iPhone and Apple Watch but the same exact thing happened with both Macs.

I also have two pairs of BeatsX headphones with the W1 chip in them and they work flawlessly with all of my devices. Unfortunately I can't use them for working out because they're not sweat proof . So there is clearly something going on with the H1 chips and these older Macs. I wouldn't care except that Apple/Beats say that they are compatible but they clearly are not. I would love some answers if anyone has experienced this and knows a fix.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 3:58 AM

So I finally realized that I should start up in Safe Mode, and when I did, a pari of AirPods with the H1 chip stayed connected. I then when through the process of figuring out what software was causing a problem. It was actually an app called Typeeto. It's an app that allows you to type on your iOS devices using your Mac's keyboard. I never thought that this was a problem since my W1 Beats earphones connected just fine. This is a very, very strange bug that I will be reporting to their developers. With any luck, this will help someone else out there.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2020 3:58 AM in response to iamtheadman

So I finally realized that I should start up in Safe Mode, and when I did, a pari of AirPods with the H1 chip stayed connected. I then when through the process of figuring out what software was causing a problem. It was actually an app called Typeeto. It's an app that allows you to type on your iOS devices using your Mac's keyboard. I never thought that this was a problem since my W1 Beats earphones connected just fine. This is a very, very strange bug that I will be reporting to their developers. With any luck, this will help someone else out there.

H1 Chip Headphones (AirPods Pro and PowerBeats Pro) Don't work with Some Approved Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.