Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t Get Past User Login Screen After Error

I tried to drag a photo to my desktop from Safari, and there was an error. I closed everything I was running and Finder wasn’t responding. I clicked Relaunch Finder, then then whole thing froze. I had to hard shutdown. When I restarted the Mac, I tried to login to my User. The password was accepted, but the screen went black for about five seconds and then went back to the User selection screen. This has continued ever since. I can not login with the guest user either. We have tried booting in safe mode but have the same problem. We ran First Aid in Recovery Mode and changed the password with no success. What should I do? Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 8:39 PM

You should give this a try:

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid button in Disk Utility's toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2020 8:39 PM in response to showmeorion

You should give this a try:

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid button in Disk Utility's toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Can’t Get Past User Login Screen After Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.